Ernest Benjamin Gillis Family History

Edgar Carlyle BROWN, Phmb[1, 2]

Male 1896 - 1978  (82 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Edgar Carlyle BROWN  [3
    Suffix Phmb 
    Born 24 Aug 1896  Cornwall, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 4, 5
    Gender Male 
    Education 1920  [3
    University of Toronto 
    • He received his Bachelor of Pharmacy (Phm.B) from the U of T, July 16, 1920.  There were 135 graduates in his class of which, seven were women.
    Alt. Birth Stormont, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Certificate 1 May 1920  Province Of Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 6
    Board of Examiners in Optometry 
    • Certificate No. 828: To practice Optometry in the Province of Ontario by Exemption From Examination
      By Virtue of the provisions of an act of the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Ontario known as the "Optometry Act 1919" EDGAR C. BROWN is hereby entitled to continue the Practice of Optometry. Given under our hand and seal this FIRST day of MAY A.D. 1920
    Certificate 10 Jun 1920  Toronto, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 6
    Ontario College of Pharmacy 
    • No. 5089:  This is to certify that Edgar C. Brown, Cornwall, Ontario has attended the Junior & Senior Courses of Lectures at the ONTARIO COLLEGE of PHARMACY and having passed a satisfactory Examination in the subjects prescribed by the Council has been duly registered as a MEMBER OF THE COLLEGE and is entitled to be styled a PHARMACEUTICAL CHEMIST and to enjoy all the privileges of such as duly set forth in the several Provincial Acts respecting Pharmacy.
    Certificate 2 Jan 1964  Toronto, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 7
    College of Optometrists of Ontario 
    • This is to certify that EDGAR CARLYLE BROWN has been registered as a member of the COLLEGE of OPTOMETRISTS of ONTARIO under the provisions of The Optometry Act and is entitled to practice as an OPTOMETRIST in the Province of Ontario.
      Given under the Corporate Seal of the College at Toronto this second day of January A.D. 1964
      Registration No. 3781
    Military Service
    • Regimental number: 343206 with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in W.W. I  5th Battery, 2nd Brigade, 22nd Battalion, 1st Division
    Religion Presbyterian  [3
    _UID B2381FF93EB148B4AE16BC0F3E71E1030F33 
    Died 15 Sep 1978  Arnprior, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 9
    Cause: Cancer 
    Buried Greenwood Cemetery, Vankleek Hill, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Person ID I112  Ernest Benjamin Gillis
    Last Modified 26 May 2014 

    Father Ezra Healy BROWN, Phmb,   b. 21 Jun 1858, Cornwall, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 12 Apr 1923, Cornwall, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 64 years) 
    Mother Catherine McNabb GILLIS,   b. 6 Dec 1862, Inverness, Megantic County, Quebec, Canada (Gillis Corners) Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 12 Mar 1947, Toronto, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 84 years) 
    Married 17 Aug 1887  Cornwall, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 10
    Family ID F199  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos
    Edgar C. Brown
    Edgar C. Brown
    5th Battery, 2nd Brigade, 22nd Battalion, 1st Division, Canadian Field Artillary
    Attestation Paper CEF
    Attestation Paper CEF
    Back of form
    Attestation Paper
    Attestation Paper
    Front of form
    Death Certificate - Edgar
    Death Certificate - Edgar
    Registration #1978-05-049492
    Charles and Edgar
    Charles and Edgar
    Edgar C. Brown
    Edgar C. Brown
    Edgar C. Brown in uniform
    Edgar C. Brown in uniform
    Appointment as JP - 1
    Appointment as JP - 1
    Edgar was appointed as a Justice of the Peace for the Counties of Prescott and Russell, a position he held until 1973, when he moved to Arnprior.
    Appointment as JP - 2
    Appointment as JP - 2
    Resignation as JP -1
    Resignation as JP -1
    Resignation as JP 2
    Resignation as JP 2
    British War Medal
    British War Medal
    The medal was awarded to all ranks of Canadian overseas military forces who came from Canada between 05 August 1914 and 11 November 1918, or who had served in a theatre of war. Those who had enlisted in the O.M.F.C. in the United Kingdom and had not served in a theatre of war were not entitled to this medal.
    The requirements for RAF personnel were the same as for the army. Naval personnel were required to have 28 days of mobilized service or to have lost their lives before this period of service was complete. Seamen of the Canadian Merchant Marine who served at sea not less than six months, and crews of Dominion Government Ships and the Canadian Mercantile Marine were also eligible.


    There was no bar to this medal.

    A circular, silver medal, 1.42 inches in diameter. (The medal awarded to Chinese, Maltese and Native Labour Corps was bronze.)

    The obverse shows the King George V, bareheaded coinage effigy, facing left, with the legend: GEORGIVS V BRITT : OMN : REX ET IND : IMP :

    A horseman (St. George, naked), armed with a short sword (an allegory of the physical and mental strength which achieves victory over Prussianism). The horse tramples on the Prussian shield and the skull and cross-bones. Just off-centre, near the right upper rim, is the sun of Victory. The dates 1914 and 1918 appear in the left and right fields respectively.

    A plain, straight, non-swivelling suspender with a single-toe claw.

    The watered ribbon is 1.25 inches wide, and consists of seven stripes: blue (0.125"), black (0.0625"), white (0.125"), orange centre (0.625" wide), white (0.125"), black (0.0325"), and blue (0.125").

    The recipient's name, number and rank is engraved on the rim for the first issue.

    The medal was authorized on 26 July 1919.

    There were 427,993 issued to Canadians in the CEF out of 6,500,000 total. It was possible to receive this medal alone but all gallantry medals would receive the BWM and VM as well.
    Victory Medal
    Victory Medal
    The medal was awarded to all ranks of the fighting forces, to civilians under contract, and others employed with military hospitals who actually served on the establishment of a unit in a theatre of war between 05 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 (inclusive). It was also awarded to members of the British Naval mission to Russia 1919 - 1920 and for mine clearance in the North Sea between 11 November 1918 and 30 November 1919. This medal was never issued alone and was always issued with the British War Medal.


    Only the Mentioned-in-Despatches multiple-leaved emblem is worn on this medal when it was awarded for WWI. There were no other bars.

    A circular, copper medal, lacquered bronze, 1.42 inches in diameter.

    The obverse shows the winged, full-length, full-front, figure of Victory, with her left arm extended and holding a palm branch in her right hand.

    The reverse shows the legend THE GREAT / WAR FOR / CIVILISATION / 1914 - 1919 in four lines, surrounded by a wreath, with dots below the words.

    A ring (0.5" diameter) passes through a loop fixed to the top of the medal. The ring moves forwards and backwards but not sideways.

    The watered ribbon is 1.5 inches (39 mm) wide, and consists of nine coloured stripes: violet, blue, green, yellow, red (centre), yellow, green, blue, and violet.

    The Inter-Allied War Medal was agreed to by all allies in March 1919. All medals were to be almost identical to obviate the need to exchange allied medals and each was patterned after a French medal of 1870. The medal was authorized in Britain (and for Canadians) on 01 September 1919.

    There were 351,289 medals awarded to the CEF (of the 5,725,000 total issued), always with the VM.

    The recipient's name, number and rank are engraved on the rim for the first issue.
    CFA, 2nd brigade, 5th battery
    CFA, 2nd brigade, 5th battery

  • Notes 
    • Served in W W I. Was a pharmacist and optometrist along with his father. Started out in Cornwall, Ontario, eventually moving to Van Kleek Hill in the mid-1930's. Grampa retired in 1968. That year he purchased a new Chevrolet Impala and that summer he and  grandma, her sister Aunt Bea (Grant) and Gerald Rogers went on a 3-week tour of western Canada, stopping in Edmonton where they stayed with Uncle Robert and his wife at the time, Betty and their two children, June and Leonard. Eventually the went all the way to Victoria B.C.

      Edgar Carlyle Brown is a 10th generation direct descendant of Pilgrims Francis Cooke and Richard Warren of the Mayflower. [3]
    • (Research):This Indenture, made in duplicate, the third day of March, A.D. one thousand nine hundred and thirty-seven


      Edgar Carlyle Brown of the Town of Cornwall in the County of Stormont and Province of Ontario, druggist, hereinafter called "the Mortgagor", of the First Part.

      George Edward Elvidge of the Town of Vankleek Hill in the County of Prescott in the same Province, merchant, hereinafter called "the Morgagee", of the Second Part.

      and Helen Elizabeth Brown wife of the said Mortgagor, of the Third Part.

      Witnesseth, that in consideration of One Thousand Three Hundred and Seventy-five of lawful money of Canada now paid by the said Mortgagee to the said Mortgagor, the said Mortgagor doth GRANT and MORTGAGE unto the said Mortgagee his heirs and assigns forever: ALL AND SINGULAR that certain parcel or tract of land and premises situate, lying and being in the Town of Vankleek Hill in the County of Prescott and Province of Ontario, being composed of Town Lot Number Eight (8) on the Southerly Side of Main Street in the said Town of Vankleek Hill according to the map or plan of that Town made by E. T. Wilkie Esquire O.L.S. and filed in the Registry Office for the County of Prescott on the 18th day of April A.D. 1898 as Plan Number Thirty-five (35) excepting thereout and there from the easterly thirty-four feet in width by the whole depth of the said Lot heretofore sodl and conveyed to the Bank of Nova Scotia, subject to a right of way in favour of the ownere from time to time of Lot Number Two (2) on the Westerly Side of Union Street in the said Town lying immediately to the south of the said Lot Number Eight in common with the said Mortgagor ever and along a strip of land along the westerly side of the said Lot Number Eight and extending in width from the westerly wall of the brick building now erected on the said Lot Number Eight to the westerly side line of such Lot, as such right of way was reserved in a deed of the said lands to one Edward H. Elvidge, deceased, bearing date the sixteenth day of September A.D. 1929.

      Provided this Mortgage to be void on payment of One Thousand Three Hundred and Seventy-five Dollars of lawful money of Canada with interest thereon at six per centum per annum as follows, that is to say: the whole both principal and interest to become due and be paid at the expiration of one year from the day of the date of these presents.
      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      D. M. No. 15814-C

      I certify that a certificate signed by George Edward Elvidge purporting to be a discharge of the within mortgage was duly entered and registered in the Registry Office for the County of Prescott on the 23 day of May 1968
      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      In March 1918, the Germans under Ludendorff launched their last major do-or-die attack along the Western front, and although they made significant gains, they failed to break through the British and French lines. By July the Allies had pretty well regained all of the lost ground and now planned a major counterattack in the hopes of bringing the war to an end. Dad arrived in France in June and was in the line for the major attack which began in August and ended on November 11, 1918 with the German surrender

      The diary begins in Kingston Ont. in February 1918 and continues to September when it ceases with no explanation and recommences on Nov.11.  From there it describes the march into Germany ending at Overath, a town about 20 kilometres east of Cologne. Dad was billeted  there as he describes with a very hospitable family on Dec. 15th and remained there until the army headed out for home on Jan. 15/19. The diary ends on Dec. 15 and nowhere does he relate his activities during that month that he was in Overath.  He did, however, obtain 4 anecdotal notes from friends who presumably were billeted in the same house, and which I have copied at the end of the diary.

      Included in the diary is a note written in German by a girl named Elizabeth. A German speaking friend of ours has struggled with this note in an effort to translate it and the result of that effort is included here together with a photocopy of the original note. Make of it what you will.

      Many of the place names are difficult and some impossible to make out. However, with a good map of Belgium and Germany, it is possible to trace the route of the 5th Battery, including Gunner Brown.


      * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

      Diary of


      Edgar C. Brown


      72nd Battery
      Kingston, Ontario, Canada
      Canadian Field Artillery

      Later of
      I.    Can. Reserve Art.  Witley Camp, Eng.  ' A '  Battery
      II.   1st D.A.C.  B.E.F. France
      III. 5th Battery  2nd Brigade  1st Div.
            Can. Field Artillery B.E.F.  France

      February 24th/ 18   Sunday
      Left Kingston by C.P.R at 1.45 pm with 14 coaches 2 engines and the draft from 72nd -3rd- 4th- Th R.C.H.A.. Helen, Bea, and Miss MacGreggor came with us from Barracks to train and there bid them farewell. Big crowds were at the train. Disappointed at not going through home but Mother, Father, Lillian and Stanley met me at Outremont Station Montreal when we arrived at 11 pm.  Mother had big boxes of candy and other good things to eat and also parcels from five other people. We had about twenty minutes together then our train pulled out. Left Mother with a smile on her face.

      February 25th/18 Monday
      Awoke at 7 am after a fine night's rest. Troop trains don't provide much comfort but we slept with only puttees, boots and tunics off. Used blankets as pillows and greatcoats as covers. Ate breakfast from my boxes and had a really fine meal. At 9.15 am we crossed the wonderful new Quebec Bridge and it was well worth seeing. I believe that we were the first troop train to ever cross. Everybody is French and when passing through this mountainous country we are unable to find out anything about the district. At Riviere du Loup at 4.15 and stayed about 20 minutes. A man came out on his verandah and played all kinds of songs on his cornet. Some dandy player and troops cheered lustily. Lots of mountains near and in the distance. Farms are all small and look poor - houses etc. are dilapidated and relics of 17th century. On guard 2-3 pm. Beautiful weather continues. Retired at 10.30 pm

      February 26th Tuesday
      Awoke at 6.30 am to find it was 7.30. Passed Campbellton about 3 am and time changed one hour ahead. Had a good breakfast from the box while on guard 8-9 am. Arrived through a warm rain at Moncton 11 am and stayed twenty-five minutes. Lots of people to cheer us and had a good chance to mail letters. Springfield Junction at about 3.20 pm and remained until 4.15. A big trainload of 600 Chinese were there on their way to France. We bought their money as souvenirs and found that they had lots of Mexican coins. Had lots of fun talking French to some of them and bartering smokes. Pulled into Truro at about 7.30 pm and stayed about 15 minutes. Beautiful restaurant at station and lots of people. Arrived in Halifax at 12.30  midnight.

      February 27th/18 Wednesday
      Awoke in Halifax to find four other troop trains next to ours from Vancouver. At 10 am went for an exercise walk through the hilly streets of the city - noted particularly Cornwallis St. being awfully hilly. Broken windows etc. were all over. New buildings in course of construction look only temporary. Saw detention camp and prisoners (tagged) doing civic work. Had dinner on the train and began packing. At 2.30 pm formed up in yards and marched to our boat. Sang songs en route and splashed through the slushy streets with our heavy kits. At 3 pm filed on board the C.P.R.  S.S. Metagama and was given a card entitling me to Berth 'A' Room 648 (Glory Hole) We tried to eat our supper but it was barely eatable. At about 7.30 pm a bunch went into mess room and had a grand sing song. 9 pm lights out and went to bed. It was awfully hot and slept very little

      Feb. 28th/18 Thurs.
      Awoke at 5.45 am and prepared for breakfast at 6.30. Paraded around deck for exercise and at 7 am lifted anchor and pulled up into the harbour. At 3 pm started down the harbour and out in the great big ocean. Nearly everybody on board was on deck to see the last of dear old Canada. Meals persisted in being rotten. At about 7pm some of the boys thought there was enough roll to make them sick so they contributed voluminously to the fishes. Went to bed early and enjoyed a good night ' s rest.

      March 1st/18 Friday
      Awoke at 5.45 to parade on deck for roll call. Everybody then jammed to the breakfast room at 6.30 am. Nearly everybody eats their breakfast but it isn't everybody who keeps them. At 9 am drill on deck - foot exercises principally to keep us warm. Bought 15 apples from one of the kitchen men for $1. Weather was very calm all day & with the exception of the meals have so far thoroughly enjoyed the trip. Eggs for supper - apparently both hens and eggs had been to sea for many a day.

      March 2nd Sat.
      Awoke to find it snowing. Morning passed without incident - cold weather. Afternoon the weather cleared and witnessed a most beautiful sunset. Passed two ships going in the opposite direction. One, a two masted sailing vessel was just on the horizon at sun set and formed part of a most perfect picture. Spent the evening most pleasantly by talking about other people and things we had left behind, in Roy Culbertson's Sub Section.

      March 3rd/18 Sunday
      A calm beautiful Sabbath morning greeted us. Church service was held in the mess room - morning for R.C.s, afternoon and evening for Protestant. Meetings took the form of song services.  As a special recognition of  the fact that it was Sunday we had plum pudding for dinner and it sure was good. Only one parade in the morning - before church. After supper I spent a couple of hours at the stern railing looking at the beautiful sunset and watching the picturesque  formations of the waves. Reflection of the sun on the water made many pretty rainbows.

      March 4th/18   Monday
      Any man who wants to go through a real storm at sea would have had his heart ' s desire realized to the full in today's trip. It started this morning with a light misty snow storm and in remarkably short time we lost sight of the 10 other boats in our convoy. The sea was soon whipped up into mountains of froth capped waves and our boat began plunging and rolling. Many things filled this eventful day that will long remain in the minds of everyone on board. In the midst of  the awful gale one of the smoke boxes near the stern burst into flames and for a short while we realized what it is to have a fire at sea. Our crew were quite equal to the occasion and before much damage was done the fire was extinguished. In the afternoon the gale grew worse until it was practically impossible to stand up on deck. Part of the railing washed overboard and when one particularly big wave covered the ship like an envelope, it took part of the wireless rigging with it rendering our wireless useless. At supper time it was almost impossible to serve anything. The ship rolled to such an awful extent that not a thing could stick on the tables. Pitchers upset and barrels on deck rolled over everybody. At about 5.30 pm the sea became so fierce that hatches were closed and everybody was forbidden to go near the deck (outside). A shark was sighted following our ship and with real sorrow regret to make note of the death of one of our soldier mates at about 6pm. Heart failure is given as the cause. At time of retiring ship rolls as if she would tip clean over. For supper about 40% were present and many of those left before the meal was over. So far I have not experienced the slightest inclination of being sea sick but we never can tell what will happen.

      March Th/18    Tuesday
      Morning brought beautiful calm weather and we had a chance to see about us and see what had happened to the other ships. Three were missing and our escort was out of sight behind rounding them up. At about 3 pm the stray boats returned to the flock and we hit up a speed even faster than before. At about 7.30 am the service and burial of the deceased member of the Engineers was held but few were allowed on deck.  - after supper a concert was held in the mess room which was a real success. Retired at about 11 pm.

      March 6th/18   Wednesday
      Beautiful weather with plenty of rolling waves. Had Physical Training on deck in the morning and after dinner amused ourselves by watching the manoeuvres of some fairly large fish and a flock of sea gulls. A boxing contest was fought on deck by a couple of rough necks and one of them won but I don't know which. Meals served in the bunkrooms cost $1 today and consisted of toast and poached eggs, sausage, bacon, bread, buns and tea. Some had some shrimps too. Boats have all started taking zigzag courses and we expect shortly to enter the danger zone.

      March 7th/18   Thursday
      Up in the morning anxious to see if there were any subs. about but failed to find even one. Marconi gram posted announced the torpedoing and sinking of the Calgarian with 46 men and 2 officers lost. By evening we passed through the same waters but saw nothing of the wreck. Stayed up late and remained dressed all night.

      March 8th/18   Friday
      Awoke to find that our U.S. escort was ahead out of sight and that 7 Torpedo Boat Destroyers. Their great speed soon brought them up and we had a good look at one (H81). All day they raced around us and in between the ships. We felt much safer and look forward to seeing green land instead of a muddy sea bottom by Sunday anyway. Shined buttons ands cleaned up generally. Meals are still fierce.

      March 9th/18   Saturday
      Sea remains very calm and we travel at a good speed. About 4.30 pm fog arose. Orders were posted that we were to prepare for landing at 6 Sun. morning. About 5 pm our escort sighted two German subs and great excitement is evidenced. Our course is changed and orders about disembarking all cancelled. Stir on board all night and extra precautions were taken - more guards and lookouts.

      March 10th/18   Sunday
      Fog still continues at sun rise but lifted about 8 am. Went on deck about 9 am and was just in time to see some naval manouvering. A sub was sighted in our midst and two mines were dropped from our convoy and the force of their explosion shook our ship from bow to stern. All men were called on deck into position by the life boats. About 9.30 the sub crossed our bow and was about even with the stern of the ship on our port side - Victorian - when our torpedo boat destroyer #H81 turned completely around at full speed and gave chase. She dropped 4 mines but one was sufficient. A T.B.D. following behind saw the wreck of the sub so that is one less to worry about. Until 11 am we had to stand at ease on deck ready at a moments notice. We were in sight of land nearly all day but after dinner we came quite close to shore - Ireland and we could see houses. About 2 pm we turned around head of Scotland and two dirigibles came as an added protection SSZ12 & SSZ20. About 3 o ' clock we entered the mouth of the Clyde and then we knew that Glasgow instead of Liverpool was our new destination. Anchored at about 5 pm near a little town of Greenock. Most beautiful scenery all the way - green fields all little mountains and hardly a tree. Our escort is stationed all around us with a few additions - one sub and some large destroyers. Discarded lifebelts and everybody is extremely happy.

      March 11th/18    Monday
      Passed many big ship building yards on way up to Glasgow. Arrived about 11 am and entrained about 1 pm. Passed through most beautiful scenery. At Preston girls gave us tea & biscuits free. Girls do all kinds of work - saw them hauling brick & coal and sweeping streets, also in ship building  yards with overalls on. Were still going at midnight.

      March 12th/18    Tuesday
      Arrived at Milford about 4.30 am was wakened from sleep and had to get out with all kit on platform. Automobiles took our kit bags and in the darkness marched through the country roads to Whitley Camp arriving at our quarters shortly after 6 - had breakfast and hung around getting a general view of our surroundings. The day passed without incident -- had a few roll calls etc. and lined up on parade grounds then came back for supper. After supper paraded for our two blankets & and three boards. During afternoon had an inspection for measles and skin diseases.

      March 13th/18 Wednesday
      Quite willing to get up at 6am after sleeping on the boards although slept well. In morning parade was singled out as a Gunner in 18 pdrs. In afternoon had a dress inspection by a headquarters officer. Saw Jack MacDonald at the head of a parade of Scotch infantry and spoke to him for a while. After supper when writing to mother in Y.M.C.A saw Bill Surgeoner. Meals are fierce.

      March 14th/18 Thursday
      Slept a bit better getting used to it. Had real P.T. all morning. Bath parade in afternoon and had remainder of afternoon free. Wrote to Harold Farlinger. About 5pm started a cold rain. At 6.40 fell in for parade and went to a concert given by 5 girls from YMCA Lyceum. It was grand. Our bath was warm and most welcome being the first one since Kingston.

      March 15th/18   Friday
      Had P.T. for 1 hr then struck out for a route march through some of the most beautiful country imaginable - went about 4 miles then had dinner. Was very tired and sore. Afternoon another and longer march. Passed the 'Half Moon' pub. It reminds me of stories of olden days in this country. Trees in this section have a most beautiful and strange foliage. Retired early very tired and sore.

      March 16th/18   Saturday
      Had a ten mile route march that nearly broke us all down. Went through some most beautiful country and saw many people. Lots of hills to climb up and very few to go down. After dinner had an hour's PT then another short march. Retired right after supper and woke at 6 next morning.

      March 17th/18    Sunday
      Had church parade at 10.20 and wrote letters all afternoon. After supper lined up and sections of Gnrs. etc. chosen for work. Paraded then to mess room and had an interesting lecture from Cpt. Vining. Lots of fine music and a good time generally. Retired early. Wrote to Geo. Colquhoun and Arnold Smith

      March 18th/18   Monday
      Had regular work in morning. PT & route march. Bath parade at 2 pm and had second bath in England. Spent remainder of afternoon writing to Mother, Helen and Pays. After supper lights went out apparently in fear of an air raid - saw the search lights searching the sky. Looked just like a large white spot but could see no light beam. At 8.30 pm had our first of four meal a day rations - soup and biscuits. Retired early.

      March 19th/18   Tuesday
      Raining slightly and foggy. Had PT and long route march around camp. Afternoon PT and rotten foot drill. After supper worked in Orderly Office for a while then went to a splendid concert given by returned men. One man played bells very well.

      March 20th/18   Wednesday
      Worked in office all morning then went down to Paymaster 's office below Tintown. Found that Gord Hodge was there but could not find him. In afternoon had PT and it was called off about 3 o'clock. Very warm and sun bright. At noon saw an airplane doing loop the loop etc. over our camp. After supper retired.

      March 21st/18   Thursday.
      Had my heel dressed and stayed off parade all day. Wrote to Mrs. Craig, Bill Young and started one started one to Helen. Air craft manouvered over camp all afternoon. Had rhubarb pie for dinner. Parades were as usual.

      March 22nd/18   Friday
      On hut sanitary for a day - finished and mailed Helen's letter. Sat on a chair in Y canteen for first time since Kingston. Felt lost but it felt very comfortable. School of Gunnery and lower camp inspected by General French & staff. Had an interesting illustrated lecture on the war in Turkey by a man who had seen it. Succeeded in changing the remainder of Canadian money.

      March 23rd/18    Saturday
      Still on sanitary and foot much better. In morning made tour of trenches in Marley field and found it very interesting. In afternoon wrote to mother and then had good sleep. Evening - boxing and wrestling in our hut till lights out. Put our watches on one hour.

      March 24th/18   Sunday
      Sanitary yet. In afternoon wrote to N---, Neil and finished letter to mother. Did no drill all day and retired early.

      March 25th/18   Monday
      Daily routine of work. Again went on parade and route march took us through a new section.

      March 26th/18    Tuesday
      Route march went over same roads as yesterday but in afternoon went into a little town and bought 1/ of chocolates. When on a halt an old man perched up on a very small two wheeled cart pulled by a very small donkey passed us. It was one of the funniest outfits I have ever seen.

      March 27th/18    Wednesday
      PT and foot drill all morning. In afternoon had an interesting lecture by the chaplain and the senior M.O. on how we should act when on leave. In evening had a lecture on the YMCA Tour. Laundry came - had a bath & donned clean clothes.

      March 28th/18    Thursday
      Rained heavily all night and morning parade had to be cancelled. Instead had a lecture in mess room on Battery drill. After dinner went for first class in School of Gunnery. Could do nothing much on account of rain. Heard of sinking of S.S. Metagama. Talk of mail but none came. Retired with clothes all wet.

      March 29th/18    Friday
      Good Friday but work just the same. Went to School of Gunnery at 7.45 am and all day worked hard on the guns. Had only about 45 minutes for dinner.  New system for sittings for meals was badly balled up for supper.

      March 30th/18    Saturday
      Rained hard all day. In afternoon had to go on fatigue to stables but didn't do much harness cleaning. Was wet to the skin all day.

      March 31st/18    Sunday
      Still raining and still wet. At church parade answered a call for pharmacists and was sent to M.O.'s office. Capt. O.E. Kennedy, Sgt. Houston and Pte. Broumpton are the staff to which I was added. Worked on Return and Indent sheets all day and slept on the floor in preference to my hut at night.

      April 1st/18   Monday
      April Fool's day but it was an honest joke when I received seven letters from home. Nothing was more acceptable than mail and we got lots. It was dated from Feb 27 to March 3rd. Work in the M.O.'s office is interesting and easy. Take an occasional man to hospital or fumigator and get a trip through TinTown. Eat in office and get the best of food from kitchen.

      April 2nd/18    Tuesday
      Was awakened about 4.30 am by a man rushing in and wanting the Dr. In F1 Lines a Frenchman hanged himself in the wash house by using his blanket and water bottle strap - that not proving successful he had cut his throat more than half way through by means of two razors drawn crosswise. M.O. was not around and as the man was dead we didn't bother going over. Work as usual and when returning from #4 S.D.H. met Lieut. Ford Strickland. Went to a show in Tin Town with Willy and had a good time. Retired on our return. Received another letter from Helen.

      April 3rd/18    Wednesday
      Sick Parade etc. went as usual and nothing  exciting happened.  Spent the evening with the boys then retired.

      April 4th/18    Thursday
      A continuation of the daily routine with nothing exciting.

      April Th/18    Friday
      In afternoon had a haircut and bath. Claude and Jack came over to a party in our office and we had a great time eating cakes & drinking coffee. Retired about midnight.

      April 6th/18    Saturday
      Rained hard all day. Cleaned out office at noon and packed everything to G2 Lines. Pay parade took nearly all afternoon and received L4. Slept in Y with Claude and Jack.

      April 7th/18    Sunday
      Packed our kits and prepared for leave. At 9 am went to parade ground of School of Gunnery. Put  our kits in Q.M. Stores and thought we going.  At about 11.30 we were called back and took our kits out of stores and returned to camp. All this pack drill was for nothing. Big airplane flew over camp with three men. Cleaned out Y after supper with Jack Burman acting as auctioneer.

      April 8th/18    Monday
      Didn't go to bed Sunday night at all but at 4 am paraded to School of Gunnery and stored out kits and really prepared for leave. Caught train at Milford at 7.10 bound for Edinborough. In our compartment were Jack Mulligan, Claud Rogers, Charlie Cummings, Lloyd MacDonald, Allan DeWolfe and Ralf Duncan. On the way we became of our long journey to Scotland and after passing Manchester we decided to detrain at next station which was Preston Lancaster. We found our way after some rambling about to rather comfortable quarters in the Preston Hostel where we secured tea, bed and breakfast for 1/6. After tea went to Empire Theatre and saw disgusting play "Somewhere in Somerset ". Later we went for a walk and about 11 pm retired.

      April 9th/18    Tuesday
      Had breakfast at Hostel at 8 am. After breakfast Jack M. And I went on a purchasing tour which resulted in a sight seeing tour. While walking along Fishergate St. we passed an old man about seventy leading a very small donkey that was trying its best to pull a load of barrels on a two wheeled cart that was several times its size. There are many such outfits to be seen passing up and down the cobbled streets and always the driver is walking near the donkey's head. The names of some of the old hotels caught our eyes and reminded us of stories we had read about this country centuries ago. Old Dog Hotel, Port Admiral, Royal Liver Friendship Association etc.  On entering a pub purely out of curiosity we witnessed some of the most disgraceful and disgusting sights that it is possible to see. Old haggard women with hardly enough clothes on to keep them warm loll around the bar begging drinks. Even young girls came in and had their drinks and apparently it was quite the thing for nobody paid much attention to them. The lowest and most desperate types of humanity are to be seen in these public places and it is no wonder that England is at war when she allows this traffic to continue. The bunch of us here became heartily sick of seeing how Great Britain is abusing our good Canadian wheat and if we ever get the chance we will do our utmost to stop its exportation. On all the streets large posters cry out to the people to "Eat less Bread". The Govt' try to conserve legitimate food and yet they allow the grain that should make bread be used to create poverty and degradation.  Passing on farther we entered a few stores making small purchases then decided on bathing before dinner. We went to the public bath and had a good cleanup. While there the attendant showed us the large swimming pool and another small one 3 ft. at deepest for children's use. The 'Bath' is a large stone structure that has been used for cleaning humanity since 1850. On our return we purchased (at wholesale) a large bunch of green onions and radishes which we cleaned  and ate for dinner. In a most picturesque little room in Hammond's Cafe we satisfied our appetites with some meat - potatoes and vegetables. Our coffee was sweetened with saccharin pellets and our bread was oleoless. After dinner we lounged in easy chairs around the little fireplace and studied the pictures on the walls. Everything harmonized and were reproductions of Dicken's time. After we left the cafe Jack and I decided on going to Manchester which is a very large city  - two million - so at 2.30 we left the cobbled stoned streets and tumbled down shacks of Preston. On entering the station to board our train we were in great doubt about our passes and also in a hurry so we decided on slipping into one of the last coaches unseen if possible. We were seated contentedly in a compartment when the signal was blown. Very fortunately Jack hailed a trainman who kindly informed us that the coach we were in was not going. We detrained in much hurry and succeeded in catching the last coach and the last compartment of the train. For company to Manchester we had five extremely polite little boys who were going home from boarding school. At Manchester we secured accommodation at the YMCA and later (5.30) went to meet Claud and Charlie. This is a very large city - many automobiles, busy double deck cars (street) and large buildings. After supper attended the Hippodrome Theatre and saw a very good performance - variety of 9 acts. Miss Maude Vincent sang 'Rose of Piccardy' nicely. The theatre is gorgeous and glistens in cream and gold paint. Went for a short walk before retiring. Bunks at the Y were like on the boat

      April 10th/18    Wednesday
      Awakened by an attendant who persisted in rattling our door and calling '8 o'clock - show a leg there boys'. We had a good wash and breakfast, then set out sight-seeing. Went into Albion Hotel and Morsley Hotel to secure rooms but we were refused. In a barbershop we had our faces much abused in the act of shaving - funny customs, that's all. About 10.30 am entered the wholesale house of Rylands & Sons - the biggest wholesale in the country (drygoods etc.). They sell their own goods as well as job and it took us nearly two hours almost running to go through the building. They employ in all branches over 25,000 people. Mr. Cunningham their Canadian Traveller was most kind in showing us about and he took pains to explain all interesting details. One part of their building is what once was Bridgewater Place and Cromwell stayed there. Very pretty spot. At dinner time secured rooms at Deansgate Hotel and had luncheon. After dinner cleaned up in our rooms and went for a walk keeping an engagement with the bunch of girls across the road at 5.30. Went to a picture show and later had supper in Lyon's Cafe. Retired at about 11 pm - after an interesting day watching the traffic. Lift in Rylands. Old well under floor - Garden St. When building found a hidden river under Mosley Hotel.

      April 11th/18     Thursday
      Bed was so comfortable that Jack and I remained in until 11 am when we then cleaned and shined in preparation for dinner. At 12.30 met Miss Howarth and we dined at Lyon's. Went to florists and secured some beautiful flowers. At 3 pm caught train for Liverpool and had to pay for tickets. On arrival at Liverpool laid claim for refund on tickets and found that we had to apply through O.C.  Our first glimpse of the streets revealed an enormous crowd of people and cars through which it was hard to pass. Secured quarters at the Stork Hotel and at 5.30 had supper. The dining room is small but luxurious and the meals are the best in the city. In the centre of the hall is a table on which is most artistically arranged the meats and desserts for the meal. When your order is placed the head waiter takes the fish etc. of your choice and it is sent to the kitchen and prepared. Everything is done on an elaborate scale. After supper Jack and I crossed the Mersey to Seacomb seeing all the docks and big liners on the way. In Seacomb we went to Mr. Surgeoner's home and had a most delightful homelike time. Mr. Surgeoner took us through the pretty streets and around through a most beautiful large park where there were bowling greens, a small lake, cricket fields and walks bordered with flower beds and hedges. It was once a gentleman's estate but now the house is a College of Art. We then went down and went the length of the promenades on the beach then returned to his home where we had a grand lunch. At 11.30 recrossed the river and wormed our way through the darkness and luckily arrived at the hotel without being murdered. At the wharf on the top of the big S.S. offices saw the biggest clock in the world

      April 12th/18    Friday
      Awoke about 10.30 and found it raining heavily. Remained in until after dinner where we enjoyed another most comfortable meal. In our spare moments wrote to Father on Stork paper. In afternoon took a walk through the streets later entering a show. Jack went across to Mr. Surgeoners. After supper went to another big show. When boarding a car a Imp. Officer tried to make us get off but nothing doing. We had some fun over it. At 11.00 boarded our train for London. When only out about half an hour lights went out and train stopped for over an hour on account of an air raid in the near vicinity. In our compartment were two young sailors who amused us nearly all night.

      April 13th/18    Saturday
      Arrived in London at about 9 am. Took a bus to Regent Palace Hotel on Piccadilly Circus. First impression of London was that we had entered a world of never ending streets and buildings. Traffic is so great that streetcars are impossible, instead there are buses. After registering at the Palace (true to its name) we went out for breakfast, then to #3 Southampton St. Charlie and I then took a sight-seeing tour around Hyde Park and the Kensington Gardens. Park is beautiful. Returned in time for dinner - a most classy meal. Very kind lady gave us meat tickets and we indulged in chicken. Dining room is a large spacious room with big round marble pillars, thick carpets and elaborate furnishings. Orchestra played all the time. When dining in such style two hours is a reasonable length of time to sit at the table. After dinner Chas & I took a tube - the fastest means of locomotion I ever employed -  to Oxford Circus to see Lt. Col. Smith, Maj. Alguire and Caroline but offices were closed and office boy couldn't give other addresses except hospital. We walked back to Piccadilly through big business section and through a large park in which were stationed anti-aircraft defensive weapons and some aircraft. We then went around the beautiful park at Buckingham Palace and saw the Palace. From there we went into the Parliament Buildings and got as far as the door of the auditorium. Leader of the Irish Party was speaking on the Manpower Bill. Some gorgeous pictures hang on the walls of the passageways and also tapestry of unknown worth. We then crossed the street to Westminster Abbey and by paying 3d had a guide take us through the Abbey and explain things as we went. Saw the burial places of all the Royalty for past centuries. The Abbey ceiling is solid rock most gorgeously carved - work of 16th century. On the monument to Wolfe are placed the flags of the Canadian Regiments in a gorgeous display.  Walked on the floor and stood before the alter where the Sovereigns are crowned. Many of the most beautiful pieces of sculpture and paintings have been removed and many of the most interesting burial places are boarded up and banked with sand bags for protection against air raids. Spent several hours in the Abbey then returned for supper. Supper was a little party with Bill Surgeoner as our guest and it ended in the theatre where we saw some  'London Stars'. Retired about 12 being very tired from our days wanderings.

      April 14th/18     Sunday
      Bed was so comfortable that we lay in until 10.30. Breakfast at Lyon's Cafe. At noon phoned Caroline but could not speak to her. After dinner went and visited with Mr. Barnett until 6 o'clock. On returning to hotel we went to Royal Cafe for supper and sure is some place. We nearly were stung for a pound but the game didn't work on us. Our train was to leave at 10 pm but by fooling around the hotel we missed it. However we caught the 11 o'clock but it wouldn't stop at Milford so we went through to Hazelmere where we arrived at 12.30. We walked into camp which was only 7 miles at 3.30 am. The night was extremely dark and we were extremely tired so with only removing our haversacks we lay on the bare floor and froze until 5.30. A very fitting finish to one grand leave.

      April 15th/18    Monday
      An awful storm of sleet greeted us at reveille in which we had to stand for over three hours during the day. Red tape which amounted to nothing but our name and number kept us out. The day was rotten so we retired at about 7.30. Incidentally did 5 mile route march in pm.

      April 16th/18    Tuesday
      Weather still very bad. Rain almost snow and penetrating cold. No fires to keep us warm. After standing in line for a couple of hours Sgt. Perry called me out of the lines and I took a position in his office along with Wallace Boland. Work is congenial and place is fairly warm

      April 17th/18    Wednesday
      Still in Sgt. Perry's office doing a little work. Weather still cold but brighter.

      April18th/18     Thursday
      Snow came but I was able fortunately to keep fairly warm and dry in Sgt's Hut. Issued with Kitchener's boots. At night went with Jack, Wallace, and Sgt. MacGregor to show in Tin Town "The Magistrate" which was exceptionally good. While in theatre met Neil Phillips. Weather cleared by night.

      April 19th/18    Friday
      Nice cold day. Still in office. Went to Tin Town at night with Jack and on return to Hut found Roy Geach with Lloyd. Spent a short time with Roy then retired.

      April 20th/18   Saturday
      Not quite so chilly - had a wash in warm water for which I forfeited breakfast. Still lucky enough to stay in Sgt's office. Received no mail yet. Went to Guildford on bus. Had picture taken also one of the bunch. Dined sumptuously chiefly eggs. Bought some music and sent it to Lillian with collar enclosure. On return to camp stood in heavy rain for nearly an hour.

      April 21st/18    Sunday
      Moved to School of Gunnery Hut A 11. Rain all day. Spent  afternoon with Gord Hodge. Wrote letters all evening and retired early.

      April22nd/18    Monday
      Started real work in Musketry drill. Not very severe. Route march before breakfast and PT at noon.

      April 23rd/18    Tuesday
      Shot at miniature ranges in morning and at big range in afternoon. Mail is very scarce. Meals are quite decent - much more than we get in A Battery.

      April 24th/18    Wednesday
      Letter from Father, Mother and Lillian announcing her engagement. Passed school of Musketry. Went to Godalming in evening with Jack and had a good time.

      April 25th/18    Thursday
      Started course on Gas. Lloyd and I still able to keep together. Gas is very interesting although not very hard. Spent evening around canteens. Rec'd K. Boots 186-143 nails in soles.

      April 26th/18    Friday
      Progressing favourably with Gas. Nothing much happening. Had a bath, good supper and went to bed.

      April 27th/18    Saturday
      Passed in Gas and had the most trying route march possible with gas masks on. Finished at noon. Waited 2 hours for bus to Guildford. Beautiful afternoon. Had good time on our trip and passed an aeroplane in a field that had just fallen. Didn't wait for bus to return but hired a taxi which dropped us in Godalming. We walked into camp in 40 minutes and felt fine.

      April 28/18    Sunday
      Up at usual hour 5.15. Church parade at service in Y. Mail called at 11.30 but received none. Put on Guildford Picket for 4 o'clock. Spent fine time in Guildford walking around one block. Returned to camp at one am had lunch and retired.

      April 29th/18    Monday
      Didn ' t have to report for roll call. First day on guns proved interesting. Weather stays cold.

      April 30th/18    Tuesday
      Gun drill increases in interest. Walked to Godalming in evening. Nice weather.

      May 1st/18    Wednesday
      First of the month shows weather still raw. Rain in small drizzles spoiled the day.

      May 2nd/18    Thursday
      Daily routine unchanged. Retired early and appreciated bed.

      May 3rd/18   Friday
      Nothing new happens. Progressing favourably with drill work.

      May 4th/18    Saturday
      Took a bus to Guildford with Lloyd. Received pictures and mailed them home. Missed the last bus to camp and through a kind M.P. slipped onto train arriving in camp only a few hours late.

      May Th/18    Sunday
      Big church parade - same sermon as last Sunday. Walked to Whitley in evening and saw the old church. I had supper in Tulip Tea Rooms. Enjoyed the evening rambles although it rained. Chas and Lloyd were with me.

      May 6th/18    Monday
      Have received no mail for a week. Still working hard. PT is rather severe.

      May 7th/18    Tuesday
      Preparations for King's visit. Shined everything before retiring.

      May 8th/18    Wednesday
      Up at 4.45. Cleaned hut and arranged personal effects for inspection. Morning parades and drill as usual only had dinner at 10.30. Fall in again at 11.15 and took up positions on guns as usual. King and his escort came about 12.30 when everybody came to attention. His inspection was merely a march around the grounds without stopping. When within a short distance of our guns Gas alarm was sounded and we only saw him through our masks. After he had passed removed our masks and saw him clearly while he inspected Riding School. Was #2 on gun. Guard of Honour was best bunch of men ever on grounds - all had gold bars. Dismissed at end of inspection and at 2.00 Pay Parade. Like all other things infernally slow. My pay came at 5 o'clock. Lloyd and I went to  'Merry Widow'  in Tin Town and enjoyed the performance.

      May 9th/18    Thursday
      Very hot day. Everybody dowsy on the guns and Sgt. Hughs doubled us but with little effect. Completely fatigued by night time so just took a bath, wrote for a short while then retired.

      May 10th/18    Friday
      Beautiful day and had much easier time on parade. Lots of Canadian parcels but none bearing my name.

      May 11th/18    Saturday
      Beautiful day. Slept in after noon and in evening went to Godalming.

      May12th/18     Sunday
      Mother 's Day. Wrote big letters home. In evening Lloyd and I walked about 8 miles into country.

      May 13th/18    Monday
      Very warm and worked hard all day. Retired early.

      May 14th/18     Tuesday
      Another hot day. Walked about 8 miles with Lloyd through some beautiful country. Passed thro ' Sand Hills and Wormsley - had tea in Tulip Tea Rooms Whitley. Then retired.

      May 15th/18     Wednesday
      Half holiday and extra warm. Wrote letters nearly all afternoon. Went for another walk with Lloyd 5-6 miles

      May 16th/18      Thursday
      So warm we were allowed to remove our tunics. Had our tests in Gunnery and made a correct lay. Night Laying in morning (tests were Wed. am) Work was very hard all afternoon.

      May 17th/18    Friday
      Very warm -burned my arms and neck in the sun. Spent the afternoon on equipment, knotting and leashing. Had much fun around hut in evening singing and story telling. Several boys have la grippe which is spreading through camp.

      May 18th/18    Saturday
      Finished S. of Gunnery. Spent afternoon washing haversack etc. and preparing for move back to A Battery. Went to Godalming in pm.

      May 19th/18    Sunday
      Paraded out of S. of G. at 9 am. Had two inspections and four roll calls. Arrived in our new huts at 12.30. Sleeping now with Lloyd. Afternoon arranged things and in evening took a stroll into country.

      May 20th/18   Monday
      Had brush up in Gas. Easy day.

      May 21st/18   Tuesday
      Went through chlorine gas chamber with our new masks successfully. Quite an experience.

      May 22-23rd/18 Wed. & Thurs.
      Rain each day. Had PT each morning and route march in afternoon. Very lazy life. Famous march with Lieut. Armstrong Thursday.

      May 24th/18    Friday
      Empire day and holiday all through camp. Lloyd and I walked to Guildford independently of parade. Didn't bother going to crowded Sports Grounds. Walked back by round about country lanes and covered over twenty-five miles during the day. Had to wait 11/2 hrs. to be served dinner. Bought jar of  'California Honey'  for 2/6d. Cabled home for 4 pounds.

      May 25th/18   Saturday
      PT all morning and appreciative sleep in afternoon. Weather is extremely hot. Mail comes very slowly 1 from home & 2 from Helen this week. Absolutely 'broke' now.

      May 26th/18    Sunday
      Lloyd and I took writing material and strolled out into the country to write. Found a quiet spot on top of hill where we could lean against a garden wall and be protected from sun. Beautiful day and enjoyed the change. Had supper in Godalming and walked back with A.G.Bounsall.

      May 27th/18    Monday
      PT & route march filled in a sleepy day. Inspections take hours and our feet burn standing in hot sand.

      May 28th/18    Tuesday
      On clothing parade and got a new tunic. Lloyd was on guard all day and night before was the one who sounded fire alarm that woke us all up at 11.30 pm. Spent all day at Q.M.'s. Draft left for France at 9 pm.

      May 29th/18     Wednesday
      Thought possibility of being on draft but none was picked. M.O's parade proved a farce. Med. inspection and foot drill in afternoon. Attended lecture in Y. on Egypt which was interesting. Sports on horseback held on Riding School.

      May 30th/18   Thursday
      Spent entire day on clothing parade but got nothing. Had a regular circus in hut at night. Jack Burman 's take-off on a show was amusing.

      May 31st/18     Friday
      On dental parade and had work done by Dr. Conway - splendid dentist. Revolution in mess room under G. Livers. Rations were found to be stolen and sold by cooks. O.C. very much interested in case.

      June 1st/18     Saturday
      On sick parade with a very sore back. M.O. is surliest and most inhuman M.O. I ever struck. In afternoon Lloyd and I went to Guildford where we received our watches from engravers - nice work for 3/6d. Walked back to camp along R. Wey. Hundreds of people enjoying the boating etc. Many funny scenes greeted us en route. Cashed cable 4 pounds, 3 shillings 10d.

      June 2nd/18    Sunday
      Spent the day quietly writing and sleeping through the extreme heat. In evening went for a short stroll and then retired.

      June 3rd/18    Monday
      On ration fatigue all day and had a good rest. At night Jack B. entertained with French dialect speeches etc. On program was one song  "Mother doesn't need to haul any wood, father always comes home with a load " (to whistles and claps)   His miniature show from the raising of the curtain to the going out of the audience was very amusing. Wrote to Father a birthday letter. Attended an open air concert at #3 and it was good. Roll call at 9.30. Rotten.

      June 4th/18    Tuesday
      Completed dental work. Stayed in camp all day. Route march to bush was easy.

      June Th/18     Wednesday
      Spent all day on parade. Med. inspec. in afternoon and foot drill.

      June 6th/18    Thursday
      Didn't bother with any parades. Received box from H. Farlinger - it was a life-saver.

      June 7th/18    Friday
      Chosen to be one of 30 from A Battery to go to investiture by King in Aldershot on 8th. Spent all afternoon shining everything we owned. O.C. provided polish so we did it well. At night re-shined everything and retired early.

      June 8th/18     Saturday
      Up at 5 am breakfast and dressed ready to move off at 6.30. Some fidgeting about but finally succeeded in getting to station. Special train to Aldershot. Marched from station to parade grounds (Queen's) and found thousands already there. Large covered grand stand in centre and great rows of bleachers with wagons in the background. All branches of the army were represented in large numbers. The King's car arrived about 12 o'clock with the King, Queen, Princess Mary, Duke of Connaught & others. Decorations were presented but we could hardly see. King afterward mounted a horse and made his inspection accompanied by Duke of Connaught. On their way off the grounds we lined up on the roadside and gave a cheer which won a salute from the King. We were then dismissed for the day and we wormed our way through the long streams of ambulances etc. to the main part of the city and spent the afternoon amusing ourselves in cafes and stores etc. At 7.45 we left Aldershot. The train didn't stop at Milford but went on for nearly a mile. We walked back to the camp through Whitley. Had a grand day and passed through some extremely pretty scenery. Roses and wild flowers lined the R.R. tracks nearly all the way. Aldershot is some camp - all brick offices etc. and on the parade grounds were about 20-25,000 men in uniform.

      June 9th/18    Sunday
      Very cold and high wind with rain all day. Stayed in hut and wrote letters and had much fun singing and being entertained by Jack B.

      June 10th/18    Monday
      On Fire Picket. Very cold morning - wore greatcoats on reveille. Had nothing to do but answer roll call all afternoon.

      June 11th/18    Tuesday
      Picked for draft to take place of boys who were put into quarantine this morning. Very busy all day with M.O. Boards, Pay Parade etc. Letter from Helen and Mother. The boys in the hut are mighty kind in their endeavour to help us arrange our kits and clean up. It's quite a proposition to know just what stuff to dispose of in reducing our kits to one bag. My arm is very stiff from the inoculation but fortunately not very sore, Draft should leave tonight but has been postponed possibly tomorrow.

      June 12th/18 Wednesday
      Completed all details of draft at 1 P.M. and were free until roll call at 4. Gord Hodge came up and took my surplus kit. At 6.45 had lunch & were issued with our rations. 8.15 draft fell in and the men on waiting list picked out. Lloyd and Charlie were both picked and their disappointment at having to break up our party was beyond words. After two final inspections and farewells to friends, at 9.10 we started on our long journey. Without a halt we marched to the station and waited for our train which left at 10.15. We spent over an hour waiting at Guildford and at 3 a.m. landed at Folkstone.

      June 13th/18 Thursday
      Spent remainder of night sleeping on hardwood floor of a large stone building. Breakfast was really good and quite a change from camp mess. Beautiful beach stretched out in front of us and we could see ships at regular intervals all along the horizon. Searchlights pierced the fog all along the coast. At 9 o'clock we fell in and were joined by drafts of Imperial Inf. And boarded our transport which was certainly crowded. At 10.50 we pulled out under an escort of a great many vessels of all descriptions and three dirigibles. Some firing was done by some destroyers. Landed at Boulogne at 12.40 and disembarked. For first time in my life and also the same with many others I was in a place where my language was hardly understood. The first impression I got of France was of old antiquated buildings, sloppy people and property showing lack of care. Our long march to rest camp was very trying. One hill was a heart breaker and on the top of it we ran into a section of the city that had been completely demolished by German Bombs. Salvage parties were hard at work trying to clear the roadway. Little kids kept trotting along by our side asking us to "Carry Sir" and some boys gave the kids permission to carry their kits a few yards. The French soldiers were all about in their many coloured uniforms which amused us "green soldiers".  At our rest camp at the top of which was a very large wireless station we were first subjected to a Med. Exam. Then allotted to our tents. Rations for a whole day were issued and we had one of our best meals since leaving Canada. Bully Beef and hard tack, a loaf of bread for three and a tin of jam for six, lots of good sweet tea and a grand appetite made us a very happy bunch to crawl into our blankets and sleep. Our rest was not disturbed by the roar of the guns which was quite loud.

      June 14th/18 Friday
      Reveille didn't mean 'get up' so we still slept until breakfast. We had good tea and lots of bacon so we had another fine meal. At 9 o'clock we fell in to parade to the station where we entrained in 11th class French cars, 10 to a compartment. Our journey was terribly slow and the country we passed through showed further signs of neglect. As we neared Etaples we passed trainloads of prisoners and hospital trains (U.S.). Large Can. Base Hospitals stationed here and Red Cross work is the big thing. Chinese do all the scavenger work. We were marched through the camp to our tents and after supper we had a lecture on how to take cover from air raids. This camp has been raided many times lately and caused heavy losses in hospitals. Things around camp are much Canadianized altho there are troops of all descriptions around. Meals were grand and weather cool.

      June 15th/18 Saturday
      No reveille but started off in 'Battle Dress' for the woods some few miles away at 7.45. We then were lectured on gas of all kinds etc. and were put through two chambers and a big gas cloud. On our way back we were minus the band but we passed a Soldiers Graveyard where hundreds and hundreds of little wooden crosses in neat rows marked the resting place of many of our fallen heroes. Also had a good view of the wrecked hospitals and got a good idea of what damage a bomb can do. Dog kennels. Very tired when we landed - had a good supper - practise on taking shelter, then retired.

      June 16th/18   Sunday
      Missed breakfast but had a good wash. Church Parade was a real one and very impressive. No shining to do. Squadrons of planes have been flying over camp all day. Had a great sleep & wrote a few letters & retired.

      June 17th/18   Monday
      Were told that we move up the line in afternoon - had morning to clean up etc. At 2.30 we left for station and piled like sardines into boxcars. Thousands of men were going the same way so several trainloads were ready to leave. At 4.50 we started - travelled for 11/2 hours through country that was well cultivated and seemed very prosperous. Peasant women with scythes and other old time tools were looking after the crops. Poppies in a riot of colour grew wild along the tracks. The Can. Inf. detrained at a large munitions dump and we came on to Auvon which was as far as we could go to-day. A heavy downpour of rain made the trip a bit chilly and disagreeable but it stopped in nice time for our bivouac. Passed many camps en route and noted particularly Tank corps quarters. Many tanks both old and new were on the grounds and they were an interesting spectacle. In our big tent we dined luxuriously on cheese, Bully Beef, Hard Tack & Tea then retired to our soft beds on the wet ground. The constant changing provides a never ending source of amusement and the boys are in the best of spirits. Roar of guns are quite distinct.

      June 18th/18      Tuesday
      Awoke about 6 a.m. was glad of the opportunity to get up and get warm. The blanket persisted in coming off and my feet took great delight in seeking fresh air. Enjoyed breakfast which was the same as last supper excepting jam for cheese. Had a good wash at a pump in station master's yard where a little girl mutely admired my ablution endeavours. Boarded a 3rd class at 10 a.m. and without dinner continued our journey until 2.30 when we arrived at Cologne de Regaud. Billets in an old barn that fairly walks. En route passed trainloads of prisoners who looked clean and well. In this town we are compelled to wear gas masks and loaded bandoliers. Observation balloons and airplanes dot the sky all about. Enemy guns and aircraft have played havoc with the mines and villages around. Motor lorries and other war supply machines make us believe further the enormity of this war. In evening had a shave and wash in a little creek and with a clean face took a stroll into the country where all is quiet and beautiful. The roar of the guns does not seem to bother the population. Chinese on scavenger and R.R. works abound in this district.

      June 19th/18 Wednesday
      Very comfortable night's rest in our barn. Breakfast at 5.30 and fell in at 6. Rained very heavily and we sure are wet. The bunch was broken up and I am about to cast my lot with 1st D.A.C. Graydon Winne is with 8th Army Brigade & Jette (J.D.) With 5th D.A.C. Lunched at 10.30 & at 11.30 boarded our train to our divisions. Still raining heavily and very wet. Arrived at Mount St. Elmo at 3 P.M. and walked to Acq where we are billeted in an old house. My bed is a lower berth with chicken coup wire for springs. Great life this and a really jolly bunch of fellows. My baggage is very much in the road. An air raid caused some talk in the vicinity.

      June 20th/18   Thursday
      Surprised at how well I slept. Stables from 6-7 and some bunch of old 'mokes' there are to groom. 9 o'clock dress parade then in the stables harness cleaning etc. until 12. Afternoon a half holiday so took my laundry out and while out and while out met Del Bowes and Reg Eamen. Had quite a good chat for an hour or two.

      June 21st - 27th Thursday Week
      Work continues as usual had the pleasure of several fatigues none the least of which was sweeping the streets. On Guard Friday night and it was terribly cold and wet. Night flares and the flashes of the guns lit up the horizon all night. On Sunday spent the afternoon with Del & Reg and in evening had a bath with Wm. Jackson and we amused ourselves greatly by picking the lice out of our underwear. There were many. Our evenings are very amusing especially on entertainment provided by Gus Fowley who was well under sail. Weather has been sultry and rather cool. Wed. night drove to Aubigny to 1st Div. concert. The concert was grand and the ride one which I will never forget. Friday was Father's birthday and I wrote him a letter. Also wrote to Helen.

      June 28th - July 5th Friday Week
      In this weeks' account I must give an account of my rather picturesque surroundings. In the first place Acq (Acq is in Pas-de-Calais, District of Arras there were two WWI battles in Arras) is a very old town. Everything is a relic of the 18th century and badly in need of repairs. The old fashioned chalk houses that the Germans have kindly allowed to remain wholly or partially intact are interesting relics of the architecture of the time of Napoleon. The dwellings are situated mostly on the one long street possibly one Kilo long. The white stone fronts of the smaller houses and the walls of the larger estates are flush with the edge of the old cobbled road make the town look 'built up'. Fritz though has succeeded in laying low a great many house fronts and walls and through these openings we can get a glimpse of the court yards and gardens. Every available bit of housing is used for billeting troops and the places are all subdivided and numbered for different groups of men - the native population occupy a small portion of the house while the troops make a home in the attics stables and chicken coops. My billet is in one of the large estates built in 1724. The entrance is through a huge gate which opens into a square possibly 50yds. In diameter & 75 yds. long. On four sides are buildings, or rather it is one long low building all around with many doors. Directly in front of the gate and at the far end is the mansion where the wealthy owner lived - now occupied by Sgts. a Sgts. mess. The sides - once servants quarters which are like this - tressels are run the entire length of the room and subdivided into bunks by means of planks. Over the planks are stretched chicken coop wire on which we make our beds - on these wires we stretch our weary bones and find solace in sleep. 32 bunks in two tiers are occupied by as many men, a multitude of lice and droves of huge rats. We are a happy family though and every night is like concert night. The part of the building opposite mine has been partially demolished by shells but what is left standing covers our canteen, MO's office and orderly room. The court is almost completely covered with cobble stones and in the centre is a hole surrounded by a stone wall which is being used as a dump for refuse now but its use before was probably a place into which carriages were run and washed. The kitchen is in the room next to ours and every day we are blackened with soot from the stoves that blows over the partition. The horse lines are in a field directly across the road and as might be expected are only temporary buildings - merely posts over which a roof of sheet iron is placed. The citizens are all old men and women, girls and children. Most every private home has been turned into a small store, an estaminet where the famous 'Vin Blink' is ruthlessly dispensed or an egg and chip kitchen. Air craft is continually passing over us - both our own and Heinie's and several evenings have brought interesting nights of our anti-aircraft in action. Every night from dusk on, the roar of the guns can be heard and often bursting of the shells can be detected as being quite near.

      Doings of the week -
      Monday 1st July
      Corps sports were held at Tinques. Didn't go but Del told me of meeting many home boys. Beautiful weather continues - a bit warmer. Mail continues to come for which I am truly thankful. Little walks about the town fill in the evenings and the ordinary stable work continues without event. Had a feed of strawberries which cost me 2 sugar. July 5th finds me broke but I don't mind the inconvenience

      July 6th Sat - 14th Sunday Week
      A great movement of troops is noticeable. Division after Division are passing every day. Harry Weagant went by but didn't see him. On Tuesday morning the vicinity was heavily bombed. Planes flew only a few hundred feet in the air and some of our men took a shot with rifles and revolvers They were brought down at Mont St. Eloq. On picket Wed. Night from 2 - 6 am. Rain was fierce and ----- were wild. Thursday noon I took Decrathorus team to water and one mule ran away - over ? hour before we cornered him.. Friday am another raid and shelling woke us at about 4 am. Rained steadily from Wed to Sun night. Sat. was spent in preparing for move. Sunday limbers were packed, stables stripped and everything cleaned up for move Mon. morning. Hospital has been kept full of men suffering from Spanish influenza. On Friday medical students were called out and Sat. am paraded before the adjutant. I went but pharmacy was not included in the call. Jackson and Weyman have gone to Boulogne for ----------- and Oscar Davis left in advance to the D---------.

      July15th - 21st Sunday Week
      Mon. morning prepared for the move, everything was packed on limbers & G.S. wagons. At about 9 o'clock we moved off - gunners walking. Was fortunate enough to put all my kit on our G.S. wagon and finally to get on myself. The long procession moved slowly with many halts until we reached our new grounds "Gouves". En route passed many Can. troops but none that I knew - saw tanks maneuvering in a large pit. Had dinner in our new billet about 2 o'clock and spent the remainder of the day fixing the horse lines and making our bivouac. The weather was beautiful so we didn't provide much shelter for ourselves - merely a tarp thrown over a rope stretched from a tree to our wagon. About 10 o'clock the heaviest downpour of rain so far this year started and naturally we all were soaked. A number of the boys who had been thrown out of a barn by the town mayor and some patriotic Frenchmen slept in an open field and didn't bother about the storm. Reveille parade showed a great many absent but they all got away with it. Tues. was very hot and we had worked hard both at the stables and on our 'bivy' so we had a bath in the little creek under a mill wheel. Tues. night it again rained nearly all day Wed but we were dry. Troops, mostly 2nd Div. make a constant stream on the road. Thurs. we were paid 20F. In the evening the 21st went by and I had quite a chat with Lyndon MacD. And Eastman - they were going into the line. Received a grand letter from Helen and answered it  also a box. Friday was an ordinary day for work but very hot. Letter from home told of mother's illness which grieved me muchly. After supper did a big washing (1 suit underwear,2 pairs socks & 8 handkerchiefs) Had a feed and good time before retiring. Every night old Heine has been over and bombed some places very near and the whiz of the aircraft and the roar of the heavies make a lullaby with which we go to sleep. Sat. pm and Sunday was on guard. Sun. afternoon Jim Hirst came to see me and after supper Del and I went to their camp and had a grand time [11]

  • Sources 
    1. [S112] Rogers: 2009 Gillis GEDCOM, compiled by Peter Rogers.

    2. [S162] Ancestry Family Trees, (Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.), Ancestry Family Trees (Reliability: 3).

    3. [S68] P. Rogers GEDCOM, compiled by Peter Rogers [(E-ADDRESS) FOR PRIVATE USE\,].

    4. [S70] Census 1901 - Stormont Co., Ontario, Fourth Census of Canada 1901, (Town of Cornwall, Stormont County, District 53, Subdistrict "a", Polling Division 6, Province of Ontario, Fourth Census of Canada, 1901. Enumerator: James McFarlane), Page 6 (Reliability: 4).
      National Archives of Canada:

    5. [S71] Birth Certificate Edgar Carlyle Brown, Province of Ontario (Reliability: 3).
      Date of Birth: August 24, 1896, Cornwall, Stormont Co.

      Registration No: 96-05-035705

      Registration Date: Sept 23, 1896

    6. [S87] Peter Rogers, Peter Rogers, Original Document (Reliability: 4).
      Original Certificate in possession of Peter Rogers

    7. [S87] Peter Rogers, Peter Rogers, Original Document (Reliability: 4).
      Original document in the possession of Peter Rogers

    8. [S88] National Archives of Canada.

    9. [S72] Death Certificate - Edgar Carlyle Brown, Province of Ontario, (Registration # 1978-05-049492), DA100097 (Reliability: 4).
      Date of Death: September 15, 1978, aged 82 years, at Arnprior, Ontario

      Registration No: 1978-05-049492

      Date of Registration: November 1, 1978

    10. [S75] Marriage Certificate - Ezra Healy Brown & Catherine McNab Gillis, Ontario Registration # 011639 (Reliability: 4).

    11. [S87] Peter Rogers, Peter Rogers, Original Mortgage Document (Reliability: 4).
      Original documents in possession of Peter Rogers