Ernest Benjamin Gillis Family History

Notes


Tree:  

Matches 551 to 600 of 715

      «Prev «1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next»

 #   Notes   Linked to 
551 Twin ROBINSON, Thomas (I1016)
 
552 Twin ROBINSON, Sarah (I538020798)
 
553 Twin ROBINSON, Hilary (I538020861)
 
554 Twin Robinson, Thomas (I1016)
 
555 Twin Codville (I452)
 
556 Twin to Ellen Kean, Nancy (Agnes) (I804)
 
557 Twin to Ellen KEAN, Nancy (Agnes) (I804)
 
558 Two 1901 Canadian census records, one an Archie in NB and other an Archie Jardine b. JUne 1823 and who lived in Thorah, married Mary and had son John and twin daughters.  Poss. immigrated to Canada in 1845 with bro. John (8 yrs younger, est.).
1901 census for Archie of Thorah lists the three children incl. John plus Archie's wife Mary. 
JARDINE, Archie (I1269)
 
559 Two 1901 Canadian census records, one an Archie in NB and other an Archie Jardine b. JUne 1823 and who lived in Thorah, married Mary and had son John and twin daughters.  Poss. immigrated to Canada in 1845 with bro. John (8 yrs younger, est.).
1901 census for Archie of Thorah lists the three children incl. John plus Archie's wife Mary. 
JARDINE, Archie (I1269)
 
560 Vera's parents were living in Clay County, Iowa during the 1880 census.

"Minnesota, Deaths and Burials, 1835-1990," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FDHP-C22 : accessed 3 January 2015), Coburn, 03 Mar 1926; citing Hope Tp., Lincoln, Minnesota, reference p II #36; FHL microfilm 1,320,495. 
BUTLER, Cora Vera (I6)
 
561 Von William Curry, known by the name "Von", was a CPA and made a career in the U.S. Postal Service.  He eventually became Postmaster of the Redmond, Washington post office, from where he retired in the early 1970's.  He and Marian then traveled extensively in a motor home and to overseas places.

Von was in the U.S. Army, in which he served four years including in North Africa as a paymaster.  He was discharged as a sergeant first class.

Von was a hard worker and while working for many years in the Postal Service he also maintained acreage and livestock.  He raised hay, had large gardens, raised huge quantities of chickens in large, long buildings, and usually had cattle and horses. 
CURRY, Von William (I304)
 
562 When when John Mooney was about fifteen, his uncle William Gillis who had settled in Inverness sent him money to come to Canada. All John had he packed in one little box. When a short way out, a storm at sea wrecked the boat. Later, William again sent money and John arrived safely. He stayed with William a year or more.

John Mooney was a progressive young man. He started buying cattle and shipping them to Quebec. As his business extended he bought in the United States and while there, he sent to Ireland for his mother and sister. His mother secured a position with General Butler as nurse to his small daughter, Blanche. Later his sister married John George of Inverness. His mother lived with the George's.

John Mooney met and wanted to marry Eunice Todd Wright, but her father wouldn't allow this until a husband was secured for his older daughter, Hannah. John went to Canada and took Uncle Tom Robinson back with him. Tom married Hannah, so John got his Eunice. They returned to Canada and settled on what has been known as the Mooney homestead.

John Mooney was a very successful man, both as a farmer and as a drover. He and Johnny George were the only two drovers there. There were just four families living there when John put up the Methodist Church in Inverness. The four families were William Lambly, John Mooney, John George and the Gillis family. They decided to build the church. Later William Lowry's family arrived. Some years later, when John Mooney's family was pretty well grown up, a farmer by the name of Johnson from Thetford Mines brought him a sample of asbestos which he had found on his rocky, barren farm near Thetford. Not knowing what it was, John advised him to go to Quebec and show it to Hon. George Irwin, then the MP for Megantic County. Mr. Johnson wanted Mr. Mooney to go with him, but Mr. Mooney said he was too busy haying. Mr. Johnson left to go alone. A few minutes later Mr. Mooney relented and left for the station, arriving there at the same time as Mr. Johnson. Both went to Quebec and interviewed Irwin who advised them to form a company, which they did. This company was composed of the three Johnson brothers - Andrew, John and William, John Mooney and Hon. George Irwin who served as legal advisor to Johnson Asbestos Mining Company. Andrew Johnson married Maria McCammon and afterwards became MP for Megantic County. This mine is said to produce one half of the worlds asbestos from the largest deposit ever discovered. This mine is still in possession of the original owners and has been working since its inception 60 years ago.

Acc. to notes by Mrs. Grace Cox's mother of Inverness, John came from Ireland to Inverness to be with his uncle William (John) Gillis when he was 17. He later sent for his mother, Rebecca Mooney and his sister Catherine. Acc. to Lee Robar (see Rebecca Gillis file notes) John Sr. was b. in Ireland, was a Methodist, had Irish origin, was a farmer at time of 1881 Megantic County census.

From Mr. William Baker, a Thomas McKenzie wrote some notes on "The Late John Mooney" (son of Rebecca Gillis Mooney, sister of John William Gillis), as follows:

"We regret to have to record the death of Mr. John Mooney, who passed away at his residence at the village of Inverness, on the night of May 15th, at the advanced age of 83 years. He was born in the county Monaghan, Ireland, on May 24th, 1818. He lost his father when only two years old, and resided with his grandfather until 1835, when he sailed for America in the good ship Canada. He arrived in Quebec on June 8th, and from thence he traveled on foot, by the Craig's Road, to Inverness, a distance of 60 miles, reaching his uncle, the late Wm. Gillis, on June 10th, with whom he resided one year.

"Leaving his uncle, he started on foot to seek his fortune in the Eastern Townships. He traveled alone through the 'long woods,' a wilderness, 23 miles in extent, without hesitation, and safely reached Sherbrooke, then a small village. He found employment as a 'chain-bearer' with the land surveyor. He then engaged in locating the lands of the British American Land Colony, in the Salmon River district, Compton County, where (as he often remarked) he spent two years of the hardest and happiest days of his life. At the expiration of his arrangement, he went to Craftsbury, Vermont, where he learned the millwright trade, under the 'Vermont Millwright,' Mile Sheppard; but he could not long be a servant of others, and he purchased a farm and mill site, near that place, and erected a saw mill. In the adjoining town of Greensboro, he met and married his devoted wife, Eunice Todd Wright, on April 6, 1844.

"Being intensely loyal to British laws and British institutions, he never could become a citizen of a foreign country. He disposed of his property in Vermont and returned to Inverness, where he purchased from Wm. and Charles Lord, the place, where now stands the beautiful Mooney homestead, at the foot of Lake Joseph, now occupied by his eldest son, H. R. Mooney.

"Besides being an extensive farmer, he entered largely in the cattle trade, and for some time was the partner of the Hon. John Henry Pope, and also for many years the partner of the brother-in-law, John George, of Inverness. (Ed. note: John George was husband of John Mooney's sister, Catherine).

"About the year 1879 he, along with the Johnston brothers of Clapham, and the Hon. George Irvine, purchased the asbestos lands in the township of Thetford, and formed the Johnson Asbestos Company, which has developed to its present vast proportions under the management of Mr. Mooney as president, and Mr. A. S. Johnson as manager.

"In 1860, he with the late Thomas McKenzie, built the old court house at Inverness. Some years ago, he retired to the village of Inverness to enjoy a well-earned rest, and, although he gave up the active business, he always took great interest in the affairs of the county up to the day of his death.

"In politics, he was thoroughly independent; he left the Liberal party with whom he identified himself for years, at the time of the Biel agitation in the ranks. He was always ready to place country above party, and believing that the policy of the Conservatives was best for the Dominion, he has since given them his loyal and active support, and the change in the vote in Megantic was in great measure due to his influence. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Church, and to the example of his life, as well as to the financial aid he was always ready to give, the prosperity of the Inverness Methodist congregation is largely due. The number of his neighbors who attended his funeral bore testimony to the esteem in which he was held, and the tears of the poor, whose wants his generosity had relieved, watered the grave of their benefactor.

"He did not appear any worse during the day of his death, and just before he died, he expressed a wish to leave his bed for his armchair, and did so without assistance. His son, while arranging his chair, noticed a change and summoned the family, but before they could come, the 'Black Winged Angel' had done his work and he had passed away with scarcely a sign, to be with the Savior in whom he for years had placed his trust.

"The funeral service was held in the Inverness Methodist Church and was conducted by the pastor, Rev. R. Corrigan, assisted by the Rev. Mosers, Deeprose, Easor, Satherland, and Hanron. The casket was borne up the aisle by his sons to the strains of the Dead March, and an impressive service was held amidst the tears and sobs of his sorrowing friends and neighbors.

"After the benediction, the casket was opened, and those present took a farewell look on the peaceful face of their dear old friend. The procession, which extended over a mile, was then formed and proceeded to the Boutelle Hill Cemetery, where he was laid to rest in the family lot, beside his mother. (Ed. note: Rebecca Gillis Mooney, whom John brought over from Ireland himself). All present felt, as one of the ministers remarked, that a 'man had fallen.'

"His beloved and faithful wife, his only sister, five sons and two daughters, survive him. The bereaved family have the sympathy of the whole community. His favorite quotation was 'my grace is sufficient for you.'"

by Thos. McKenzie, Inverness, May 18, 1901.
(Ed. note: written 3 days after the death of Mr. Mooney).

Additional notes from SMA, of British Columbia (re. family MOONEY notes) received 4/21/01:

Three years after he married Eunice (c. 1847), they moved from Vermont back to Inverness (Quebec) - legend has it that it was because John was being pressed to take an American citizenship. He purchased the farm of William and Charles Lord, which was between range 3 and 4 on the northern shore of Lake Joseph. The farm remained in the Mooney family for about 100 years.

---

SEE letter from Harvey and Shirley M. Aaberg, written by Thomas Gillis in 1943 to his sister "Katie" (Catherine) regarding John Mooney and the Thetford Mines business.

---

See Rebecca Gillis Mooney file - G.Barry research 3/06: John was a surveyor in the region of La Riviere aux Saumons and also spent five years building mills in Vermont. He returned to Inverness in 1847. He was municipal councillor of Inverness and a fervent Methodist. He and his wife Eunice Todd Wright provided funding, along with the Hon. George Irvine, that aided the Johnson brothers in launching their Asbestor Mines at Thetford, Quebec. John was also President of Johnston Asbestos Co. 
Mooney, John (I602)
 
563 When when John Mooney was about fifteen, his uncle William Gillis who had settled in Inverness sent him money to come to Canada.  All John had he packed in one little box.  When a short way out, a storm at sea wrecked the boat.  Later, William again sent money and John arrived safely.  He stayed with William a year or more.

John Mooney was a progressive young man.  He started buying cattle and shipping them to Quebec.  As his business extended he bought in the United States and while there, he sent to Ireland for his mother and sister.  His mother secured a position with General Butler as nurse to his small daughter, Blanche.  Later his sister married John George of Inverness.  His mother lived with the George's.

John Mooney met and wanted to marry Eunice Todd Wright, but her father wouldn't allow this until a husband was secured for his older daughter, Hannah.  John went to Canada and took Uncle Tom Robinson back with him.  Tom married Hannah, so John got his Eunice.  They returned to Canada and settled on what has been known as the Mooney homestead.

John Mooney was a very successful man, both as a farmer and as a drover.  He and Johnny George were the only two drovers there.  There were just four families living there when John put up the Methodist Church in Inverness.  The four families were William Lambly, John Mooney, John George and the Gillis family.  They decided to build the church.  Later William Lowry's family arrived.  Some years later, when John Mooney's family was pretty well grown up, a farmer by the name of Johnson from Thetford Mines brought him a sample of asbestos which he had found on his rocky, barren farm near Thetford.  Not knowing what it was, John advised him to go to Quebec and show it to Hon. George Irwin, then the MP for Megantic County.  Mr. Johnson wanted Mr. Mooney to go with him, but Mr. Mooney said he was too busy haying.  Mr. Johnson left to go alone.  A few minutes later Mr. Mooney relented and left for the station, arriving there at the same time as Mr. Johnson.  Both went to Quebec and interviewed Irwin who advised them to form a company, which they did.  This company was composed of the three Johnson brothers - Andrew, John and William, John Mooney and Hon. George Irwin who served as legal advisor to Johnson Asbestos Mining Company. Andrew Johnson married Maria McCammon and afterwards became MP for Megantic County.   This mine is said to produce one half of the worlds asbestos from the largest deposit ever discovered.  This mine is still in possession of the original owners and has been working since its inception 60 years ago.

Acc. to notes by Mrs. Grace Cox's mother of Inverness, John came from Ireland to Inverness to be with his uncle William (John) Gillis when he was 17.  He later sent for his mother, Rebecca Mooney and his sister Catherine.  Acc. to Lee Robar (see Rebecca Gillis file notes) John Sr. was b. in Ireland, was a Methodist, had Irish origin, was a farmer at time of 1881 Megantic County census.

From Mr. William Baker, a Thomas McKenzie wrote some notes on "The Late John Mooney" (son of Rebecca Gillis Mooney, sister of John William Gillis), as follows:

"We regret to have to record the death of Mr. John Mooney, who passed away at his residence at the village of Inverness, on the night of May 15th, at the advanced age of 83 years.  He was born in the county Monaghan, Ireland, on May 24th, 1818.  He lost his father when only two years old, and resided with his grandfather until 1835, when he sailed for America in the good ship Canada.  He arrived in Quebec on June 8th, and from thence he traveled on foot, by the Craig's Road, to Inverness, a distance of 60 miles, reaching his uncle, the late Wm. Gillis, on June 10th, with whom he resided one year.

"Leaving his uncle, he started on foot to seek his fortune in the Eastern Townships.  He traveled alone through the 'long woods,' a wilderness, 23 miles in extent, without hesitation, and safely reached Sherbrooke, then a small village.  He found employment as a 'chain-bearer' with the land surveyor.  He then engaged in locating the lands of the British American Land Colony, in the Salmon River district, Compton County, where (as he often remarked) he spent two years of the hardest and happiest days of his life.  At the expiration of his arrangement, he went to Craftsbury, Vermont, where he learned the millwright trade, under the 'Vermont Millwright,' Mile Sheppard; but he could not long be a servant of others, and he purchased a farm and mill site, near that place, and erected a saw mill.  In the adjoining town of Greensboro, he met and married his devoted wife, Eunice Todd Wright, on April 6, 1844.

"Being intensely loyal to British laws and British institutions, he never could become a citizen of a foreign country.  He disposed of his property in Vermont and returned to Inverness, where he purchased from Wm. and Charles Lord, the place, where now stands the beautiful Mooney homestead, at the foot of Lake Joseph, now occupied by his eldest son, H. R. Mooney.

"Besides being an extensive farmer, he entered largely in the cattle trade, and for some time was the partner of the Hon. John Henry Pope, and also for many years the partner of the brother-in-law, John George, of Inverness.  (Ed. note:  John George was husband of John Mooney's sister, Catherine).

"About the year 1879 he, along with the Johnston brothers of Clapham, and the Hon. George Irvine, purchased the asbestos lands in the township of Thetford, and formed the Johnson Asbestos Company, which has developed to its present vast proportions under the management of Mr. Mooney as president, and Mr. A. S. Johnson as manager.

"In 1860, he with the late Thomas McKenzie, built the old court house at Inverness.  Some years ago, he retired to the village of Inverness to enjoy a well-earned rest, and, although he gave up the active business, he always took great interest in the affairs of the county up to the day of his death.

"In politics, he was thoroughly independent; he left the Liberal party with whom he identified himself for years, at the time of the Biel agitation in the ranks.  He was always ready to place country above party, and believing that the policy of the Conservatives was best for the Dominion, he has since given them his loyal and active support, and the change in the vote in Megantic was in great measure due to his influence.  He was a consistent member of the Methodist Church, and to the example of his life, as well as to the financial aid he was always ready to give, the prosperity of the Inverness Methodist congregation is largely due.  The number of his neighbors who attended his funeral bore testimony to the esteem in which he was held, and the tears of the poor, whose wants his generosity had relieved, watered the grave of their benefactor.

"He did not appear any worse during the day of his death, and just before he died, he expressed a wish to leave his bed for his armchair, and did so without assistance.  His son, while arranging his chair, noticed a change and summoned the family, but before they could come, the 'Black Winged Angel' had done his work and he had passed away with scarcely a sign, to be with the Savior in whom he for years had placed his trust.

"The funeral service was held in the Inverness Methodist Church and was conducted by the pastor, Rev. R. Corrigan, assisted by the Rev. Mosers, Deeprose, Easor, Satherland, and Hanron.  The casket was borne up the aisle by his sons to the strains of the Dead March, and an impressive service was held amidst the tears and sobs of his sorrowing friends and neighbors.

"After the benediction, the casket was opened, and those present took a farewell look on the peaceful face of their dear old friend.  The procession, which extended over a mile, was then formed and proceeded to the Boutelle Hill Cemetery, where he was laid to rest in the family lot, beside his mother.  (Ed. note:  Rebecca Gillis Mooney, whom John brought over from Ireland himself).  All present felt, as one of the ministers remarked, that a 'man had fallen.'

"His beloved and faithful wife, his only sister, five sons and two daughters, survive him.  The bereaved family have the sympathy of the whole community.  His favorite quotation was 'my grace is sufficient for you.'"

by Thos. McKenzie, Inverness, May 18, 1901.
(Ed. note:  written 3 days after the death of Mr. Mooney).

Additional notes from SMA, of British Columbia (re. family MOONEY notes) received 4/21/01:

Three years after he married Eunice (c. 1847), they moved from Vermont back to Inverness (Quebec) - legend has it that it was because John was being pressed to take an American citizenship.  He purchased the farm of William and Charles Lord, which was between range 3 and 4 on the northern shore of Lake Joseph.  The farm remained in the Mooney family for about 100 years.

---

SEE letter from Harvey and Shirley M. Aaberg, written by Thomas Gillis in 1943 to his sister "Katie" (Catherine) regarding John Mooney and the Thetford Mines business.

---

See Rebecca Gillis Mooney file - G.Barry research 3/06:  John was a surveyor in the region of La Riviere aux Saumons and also spent five years building mills in Vermont.  He returned to Inverness in 1847.  He was municipal councillor of Inverness and a fervent Methodist.  He and his wife Eunice Todd Wright provided funding, along with the Hon. George Irvine, that aided the Johnson brothers in launching their Asbestor Mines at Thetford, Quebec.  John was also President of Johnston Asbestos Co. 
MOONEY, John (I602)
 
564 White Chapel Memorial Park Cemetery Brown, Dr. Stanley Herbert M.D. (I1499)
 
565 William and brother James emigrated to Canada aboard the same ship in 1826. Unknown to John, his future wife, Nancy Robinson, also was on that ship; they married 6 years later in 1832 (reported by B.C. Gillis).

NOTE: See later notes in this section provided by Mrs. Shirley Aabjerg in April 2001; until these notes, it was thought that William John was John William, and that there were only 4 children of Robert Gillis and Miss Mac Dole. However, these notes cite statement by Robert Gillis (a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Riddle) Gillis, to B.C. Gillis (William's son) in 1910 that there were in fact five children: William; Andrew; John; Rebecca; and James. He further said that William and James emigrated to Canada, and that Andrew purchased a small holding, and married Elizabeth Riddle, Robert's mother.

The book "Annals of Megantic County" (D. McKillop, 1902) says that John (William) was born at Glaslaugh, Monaghan County, Ireland and arrived in Quebec on July 12, 1829.

NOTES FROM Mrs. Shirley Aaberg APRIL 2001, AS RELATED BY THOMAS GILLIS OF OTTAWA TO HIS SISTER KATIE BROWN (GILLIS) IN 1943:

William, our father, was born August 15, l806. He came out to Canada on the good ship "Bolivar" which landed at Quebec July 12, l826, after being six weeks and three days at sea. On this ship also came Samuel Robinson, born 1782, and died June 14, l872, age 92. His wife, Ellen McCammon died Apr. 20, l852, age 70 and they had six children- William, who later went to Ohio; Thomas who stayed on the 5th range, Inverness and died March 5, l917 at age 105; James, who went west; Martha who became Mrs. McCammon and our mother Nancy who married William Gillis. Mother was born August 5, l826 after the ship landed in Quebec. William Gillis had intended to go to western Canada but he met some people who told him many people were dying of fever and ague and the country was low and swampy. He stayed four years in Quebec, worked for Bonnom Ray, a tobacco manufacturer.

Our grandfather in Ireland had a farm and several looms and more linen raisers, lots of flax on his farm. That is where our father (John William) learned to weave. William moved up from Quebec to Upper Ireland, P Q where he bought 200 acres of land, about six miles from Thetford Asbestos Mines. He built a log house which he gave to his son Robert, who sold it to Ben. Ben sold it to Tom who sold it to Charlie Canning. They then bought the 100 acre farm which was given to John, who sold it to Mr. Granklin.

James Gillis (John Mooney's uncle) came from Ireland about this time and bought the farm we lived on. Before selling this, father had 600 acres and seven sons. Father got all this land for very little money.

William Gillis and Nancy Robinson were married in the home of Alexander Learmouth at Craigs Road, Megantic County by Rev. Alexander, a Church of England minister on March 4, l832 with Mrs. Deraney as bridesmaid. They had 15 children, one dying in infancy. Uncle Andrew, the eldest son had two sons, Robert and Thomas. Robert was the man who trailed and caught Crippen on a boat at Quebec. He was the Inspector of Scotland Yards and either he or Thomas recovered with the "queen's Gold Lace." In l9l9, Edgar (Kate Gillis Brown's son) visited them when on leave at Tandragee. Robert's son Sidney, invalided home, badly wounded. Both Robert and Thomas traveled extensively in Canada and Australia. Robert was in Toronto when it was still called York. His son stayed one winter with Marsha Gillis in Inverness.

OTHER NOTES PROVIDED BY MRS. AABJERG IN APRIL 2001:

In l996, Donald Mooney contacted a descendant of Andrew Gillis, Valerie Gillis Harvey of Rockhampton, Australia. She submitted the following about her family:

The Gillis Family as I know it:

Robert Gillis married Isabella Haire, who was a milliner, on the 22 Dec. l870 at Navan in the County of Meath, Eire. Isabella (known as Bella) was the daughter of Thomas and Jane Haire. Thomas, a Royal Irish Constabulary member was Head Constable in Navan at the time of the wedding. Thomas Haire died in l874 after a fall from his horse, and is buried, together with a daughter Malda, who died in her teens, in the graveyard of St Mary's Church of Ireland in Navan.

A little time later Jane (nee Noble) whose family were jewellers in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, N.I., took her children Sadie, Emily, Lucy, Minnie, James, Alfred and William to the U S to start a new life. They settled in Maynard, Mass. Two of the boys later moved to Canada - William to Montreal and Alfred to Toronto. Bella, Margaret (known as Maggie) and Joseph stayed in Ireland. Joseph later went to live and work in England.

According to Maggie, our Haire and Noble ancestors came from Ayrshire, Scotland in the 17th century. This ties in with the Plantation of Ulster.
----------------------------
Descendants of George Mooney and Mabel Grace Jamieson have held a biannual Mooney reunion at Minter Gardens since the mid-nineties. Don Mooney of Brockville discovered that Mabel's descendants, who attend the reunion as well, are related to us through the Gillis side. William Gillis who emigrated to Megantic county in l829 had a daughter Ellen who married Robert Kean. One of their children, Mary, married William Alfred Jamieson and their daughter was George Mooney's wife.


!MARRIAGE: Leeds Anglican Church Register; 1833; M210/2, frame
001547, National Archives of Quebec; Federation of Quebec Families, Case
postale 6700, Sillery, QC, G1T 2W2, Canada; NOTE: (from disk)

"Gillis 12. seventh leaf
Married William Gillis, of the township
of Inverness, farmer, being a
bachelor and Nancy Robin-
son of the same township, spin
ster, were married after banns
duly published, on the fourth of
March, one thousand Eight
Hundred & thirty three
by me, J.S.Alexander, Mission^y
for Leeds &c.
)
In presence of) Alex^r Learmonth
) William Stele
We hereby declare that we
were married as afore-
said by mutual consent
Contracting) William Gillis
Parties ) Nancy Robinson"

!MARRIAGE: Paul Vachon, THE ANGLO-PROTESTANTS OF MEGANTIC COUNTY, Repertory of
Births, Marriages, and Burials; 1826-1991; Societe Genealogigue de la region de
l'Amiante, Thetford Mines, Quebec, Canada, 1992, Publication Number 5;
Marriages p52;US/CAN 971.4575 K2r,Fiche 6125775,LDS FHL Salt Lake City UT;NOTE:
"04/03/1833 GILLIS, William (farmer) Inverness
ROBINSON, Nancy Inverness
Church of England (Leeds)
witness: Alexander Learmonth and William Stele"

!DEATH-BURIAL: Cemetery Recordings of Megantic County, Quebec; 1838-1993;
Records in poss of Gladys Patton, Lennoxville, QC, Canada; p6, Boutelle
Cemetery, Inverness, QC, Canada; NOTE: Headstone Inscription
"William Gillis died Dec. 28, 1889, age 86 yrs. / his wife /
Nancy Robinson born Aug. 5, 1814 - July 5, 1887"

!CENSUS: 1861 CAN,PQ,Megantic County, Inverness Township; 1861; ED 2,
p 15946, lines 20-33; Public Archives Canada Film C-292; LDS Film 0517394,
FHL Salt Lake City UT; NOTE:
William Gillis, farmer, and his family lived in a one-story, one-family log
house.
William Gillis Farmer Ireland W.M. 54 m b c1807
Nancy Gillis do do 44 m b c1817
James Gillis Labourer L.CanB. do 24 b c1837
John Gillis do do do 22 att sch b c1839
Hannah Gillis do do 20 att sch b c1841
Martha Gillis do do 18 att sch b c1843
William Gillis do do 16 att sch b c1845
Samuel Gillis do do 13 att sch b c1848
Nancy Gillis do do 11 att sch b c1850
Robert Gillis do do 9 att sch b c1852
Rebecca Gillis do do 7 att sch b c1854
Thomas Gillis do do 5 b c1856
Benjamin Gillis do do 2 b c1859

1871 census page 42 ed 156 subdis 2 Inverness
line 16 122-142 Gillis, William m 64 Ireland W. Meth. Irish Farmer M
Nancy f 56 " " " M
John m 32 Q " " Farmer
Robert m 19 " " " "
Rebecca f 17 " ' "
page 43
line 1 Gillis, Martha f 28 Q W. Meth Irish
Thomas m 15 " " " in school
Benjamin m 12 " " " in school b c1859
Catherine McN f 9 " " in school b c1862

find 1881 census

!BIOGRAPHY-RELATIONSHIPS: Dugald McKenzie McKillop, ANNALS OF MEGANTIC COUNTY,
QUEBEC; 1828-1966; D. McGillop, Lynn, Mass., 1902, Third impression ... 1966;
p 137; copy in poss of John W.Wark, Menlo Park, CA; NOTE:
"GILLIS. William Gillis, born at Glass Laugh, Monaghan County, Ireland,
arrived at Quebec, July 12, '29, or three weeks after the Caledonia had landed.
Mr. Gillis was accompanied by his mother whose maiden name was Nancy Robinson.
The Robinson family remained in Quebec till '32, when they came to Inverness.
The Gillis family, near Inverness Corners, is well-known in the locality.
Samuel R. who succeeded to the homestead, died Aug. 16, 1900, aged 52. William
M., born at Inverness in '45, studied three years at Montpelier, Vt., and in
'78 received the degree of B.A. from Middletown, Ct., Wesleyan College.
Received by the Vermont Conference in '77, and in '91 removed to Minnesota.
Benjamin C. (the fourteenth child) was born March 19, '59. Graduated B.A. from
Boston University in 1891. Ordained same year. In '97 was married to Mary L.
Palmerlee. Resides in Minnesota."
COMMENT: The mother's name Nancy Robinson, given for William Gillis, may be in
error. William married a Nancy Robinson in 1833. Also, the headstone in
Boutelle Cemetery states Nancy Robinson as wife of William Gillis. Who was the
mother of William Gillis ??? 
Gillis, William (I43)
 
566 William and brother James emigrated to Canada aboard the same ship in 1826.  Unknown to John, his future wife, Nancy Robinson, also was on that ship; they married 6 years later in 1832 (reported by B.C. Gillis).

NOTE:  See later notes in this section provided by Mrs. Shirley Aabjerg in April 2001; until these notes, it was thought that William John was John William, and that there were only 4 children of Robert Gillis and Miss Mac Dole.  However, these notes cite statement by Robert Gillis (a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Riddle) Gillis, to B.C. Gillis (William's son) in 1910 that there were in fact five children:  William; Andrew; John; Rebecca; and James.  He further said that William and James emigrated to Canada, and that Andrew purchased a small holding, and married Elizabeth Riddle, Robert's mother.

The book "Annals of Megantic County" (D. McKillop, 1902) says that John (William) was born at Glaslaugh, Monaghan County, Ireland and arrived in Quebec on July 12, 1829.

NOTES FROM Mrs. Shirley Aaberg APRIL 2001, AS RELATED BY THOMAS GILLIS OF OTTAWA TO HIS SISTER KATIE BROWN (GILLIS) IN 1943:

William, our father, was born August 15, l806.  He came out to Canada on the good ship "Bolivar" which landed at Quebec July 12, l826, after being six weeks and three days at sea.  On this ship also came Samuel Robinson, born 1782, and died June 14, l872, age 92.  His wife, Ellen McCammon died Apr. 20, l852, age 70 and they had six children- William, who later went to Ohio; Thomas who stayed on the 5th range, Inverness and died March 5, l917 at age 105;  James, who went west;  Martha who became Mrs. McCammon and our mother Nancy who married William Gillis.  Mother was born August 5, l826 after the ship landed in Quebec.  William Gillis had intended to go to western Canada but he met some people who told him many people were dying of fever and ague and the country was low and swampy.  He stayed four years in Quebec, worked for Bonnom Ray, a tobacco manufacturer.

Our grandfather in Ireland had a farm and several looms and more linen raisers, lots of flax on his farm.  That is where our father (John William) learned to weave.  William moved up from Quebec to Upper Ireland, P Q where he bought 200 acres of land, about six miles from Thetford Asbestos Mines.  He built a log house which he gave to his son Robert, who sold it to Ben.  Ben sold it to Tom who sold it to Charlie Canning.  They then bought the 100 acre farm which was given to John, who sold it to Mr. Granklin.

James Gillis (John Mooney's uncle) came from Ireland about this time and bought the farm we lived on.  Before selling this, father had 600 acres and seven sons.  Father got all this land for very little money.

William Gillis and Nancy Robinson were married in the home of Alexander Learmouth at Craigs Road, Megantic County by Rev. Alexander, a Church of England minister on March 4, l832 with Mrs. Deraney as bridesmaid.  They had 15 children, one dying in infancy.  Uncle Andrew, the eldest son had two sons, Robert and Thomas.  Robert was the man who trailed and caught Crippen on a boat at Quebec.    He was the Inspector of Scotland Yards and either he or Thomas recovered with the "queen's Gold Lace."  In l9l9, Edgar (Kate Gillis Brown's son) visited them when on leave at Tandragee. Robert's son Sidney, invalided home, badly wounded.  Both Robert and Thomas traveled extensively in Canada and Australia.  Robert was in Toronto when it was still called York.  His son stayed one winter with Marsha Gillis in Inverness.

OTHER NOTES PROVIDED BY MRS. AABJERG IN APRIL 2001:

In l996, Donald Mooney contacted a descendant of Andrew Gillis, Valerie Gillis Harvey of Rockhampton, Australia.  She submitted the following about her family:

The Gillis Family as I know it:

Robert Gillis married Isabella Haire, who was a milliner, on the 22 Dec. l870 at Navan in the County of Meath, Eire. Isabella (known as Bella) was the daughter of Thomas and Jane Haire.  Thomas, a Royal Irish Constabulary member was Head Constable in Navan at the time of the wedding.  Thomas Haire died in l874 after a fall from his horse, and is buried, together with a daughter Malda, who died in her teens, in the graveyard of St Mary's Church of Ireland in Navan.

A little time later Jane (nee Noble) whose family were jewellers in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, N.I., took her children Sadie, Emily, Lucy, Minnie, James, Alfred and William to the U S to start a new life. They settled in Maynard, Mass. Two of the boys later moved to Canada - William to Montreal and Alfred to Toronto.  Bella, Margaret (known as Maggie) and Joseph stayed in Ireland.  Joseph later went to live and work in England.

According to Maggie, our Haire and Noble ancestors came from Ayrshire, Scotland in the 17th century. This ties in with the Plantation of Ulster.
----------------------------
Descendants of George Mooney and Mabel Grace Jamieson have held a biannual Mooney reunion at Minter Gardens since the mid-nineties.  Don Mooney of Brockville discovered that Mabel's descendants, who attend the reunion as well, are related to us through the Gillis side.  William Gillis who emigrated to Megantic county in l829 had a daughter Ellen who married Robert Kean.  One of their children, Mary, married William Alfred Jamieson and their daughter was George Mooney's wife.


!MARRIAGE:  Leeds Anglican Church Register; 1833; M210/2, frame
001547, National Archives of Quebec; Federation of Quebec Families, Case
postale 6700, Sillery, QC, G1T 2W2, Canada; NOTE:  (from disk)

                "Gillis           12.      seventh leaf
                 Married  William Gillis, of the township
                          of Inverness, farmer, being a
                          bachelor and Nancy Robin-
                          son of the same township, spin
                          ster, were married after banns
                          duly published, on the fourth of
                          March, one thousand Eight
                          Hundred & thirty three
                          by me, J.S.Alexander, Mission^y
                                   for Leeds &c.
                                        )
                          In presence of) Alex^r Learmonth
                                        ) William Stele
                          We hereby declare that we
                          were married as afore-
                          said by mutual consent
                          Contracting)  William Gillis
                          Parties    )  Nancy Robinson"

!MARRIAGE:  Paul Vachon, THE ANGLO-PROTESTANTS OF MEGANTIC COUNTY, Repertory of
Births, Marriages, and Burials; 1826-1991; Societe Genealogigue de la region de
l'Amiante, Thetford Mines, Quebec, Canada, 1992, Publication Number 5;
Marriages p52;US/CAN 971.4575 K2r,Fiche 6125775,LDS FHL Salt Lake City UT;NOTE:
"04/03/1833  GILLIS, William (farmer) Inverness
             ROBINSON, Nancy  Inverness
             Church of England (Leeds)
             witness: Alexander Learmonth and William Stele"

!DEATH-BURIAL:  Cemetery Recordings of Megantic County, Quebec; 1838-1993;
Records in poss of Gladys Patton, Lennoxville, QC, Canada; p6, Boutelle
Cemetery, Inverness, QC, Canada; NOTE:  Headstone Inscription
   "William Gillis  died Dec. 28, 1889, age 86 yrs.  / his wife /
    Nancy Robinson  born Aug. 5, 1814 - July 5, 1887"

!CENSUS:  1861 CAN,PQ,Megantic County, Inverness Township; 1861; ED 2,
p 15946, lines 20-33; Public Archives Canada Film C-292; LDS Film 0517394,
FHL Salt Lake City UT; NOTE:
  William Gillis, farmer, and his family lived in a one-story, one-family log
house.
  William   Gillis  Farmer    Ireland  W.M.  54 m                  b c1807
  Nancy     Gillis              do      do   44 m                  b c1817
  James     Gillis  Labourer  L.CanB.   do   24                    b c1837
  John      Gillis     do       do      do   22      att sch       b c1839
  Hannah    Gillis              do      do   20      att sch       b c1841
  Martha    Gillis              do      do   18      att sch       b c1843
  William   Gillis              do      do   16      att sch       b c1845
  Samuel    Gillis              do      do   13      att sch       b c1848
  Nancy     Gillis              do      do   11      att sch       b c1850
  Robert    Gillis              do      do    9      att sch       b c1852
  Rebecca   Gillis              do      do    7      att sch       b c1854
  Thomas    Gillis              do      do    5                    b c1856
  Benjamin  Gillis              do      do    2                    b c1859

1871 census  page 42 ed 156  subdis 2 Inverness
line 16  122-142  Gillis, William m 64  Ireland  W. Meth. Irish  Farmer M
                         Nancy f 56      " " "  M
                         John  m 32      Q          "      "     Farmer
                         Robert m 19     "        "        "      "
                         Rebecca f 17    "          '       "
page 43
line 1  Gillis, Martha  f 28   Q  W. Meth  Irish
                Thomas  m 15   "     "     "       in school
              Benjamin  m 12   "    "     "        in school       b c1859
              Catherine McN  f  9    "     "       in school       b c1862

find 1881 census

!BIOGRAPHY-RELATIONSHIPS:  Dugald McKenzie McKillop, ANNALS OF MEGANTIC COUNTY,
QUEBEC; 1828-1966; D. McGillop, Lynn, Mass., 1902, Third impression ... 1966;
p 137; copy in poss of John W.Wark, Menlo Park, CA; NOTE:
  "GILLIS.  William Gillis, born at Glass Laugh, Monaghan County, Ireland,
arrived at Quebec, July 12, '29, or three weeks after the Caledonia had landed.
Mr. Gillis was accompanied by his mother whose maiden name was Nancy Robinson.
The Robinson family remained in Quebec till '32, when they came to Inverness.
The Gillis family, near Inverness Corners, is well-known in the locality.
Samuel R. who succeeded to the homestead, died Aug. 16, 1900, aged 52.  William
M., born at Inverness in '45, studied three years at Montpelier, Vt., and in
'78 received the degree of B.A. from Middletown, Ct., Wesleyan College.
Received by the Vermont Conference in '77, and in '91 removed to Minnesota.
Benjamin C. (the fourteenth child) was born March 19, '59.  Graduated B.A. from
Boston University in 1891.  Ordained same year.  In '97 was married to Mary L.
Palmerlee.  Resides in Minnesota."
COMMENT:  The mother's name Nancy Robinson, given for William Gillis, may be in
error.  William married a Nancy Robinson in 1833.  Also, the headstone in
Boutelle Cemetery states Nancy Robinson as wife of William Gillis.  Who was the
mother of William Gillis ??? 
GILLIS, William (I43)
 
567 William graduated from Balaton High School. He remembers in high school being on the winning basketball team that won a trip to the State track meet at the University of Minnesota Memorial Stadium in 1935, the year he graduated.

William (Neil) attended Augsburg College for 1 year in 1935-36. Later he attended University of Minnesota and enrolled in its college of pharmacy. He graduated in 1943.

Then Neil served in the Naval Reserve from October 1943 to December 21, 1945 (SN 8707541). Neil was stationed at Farragut, Idaho and Great Lakes, Illinois; at Great Lakes Naval Air Station he worked on master of Arms; at Farragut, he ran the bowling alley and worked in pharmacy.

Neil's first job was working on a farm for $10 a month; his second job was as a pharmacist for only $5 a month.

After marrying Wanda in 1941, he raised his family in Osakis, Minnesota, where he established what turned into a successful Rexall Drug Store business for many years. William served in the Navy in World War II.

On 18 Jan 2009, Uncle Neil shared stories about his life and history of Osakis titled "My Wonderful Life" as part of the Winter Lecture Series at the Osakis Information Center. Although the event was not recorded, Information Center representatives report there was standing room only at the event. Neil wove together accounts of local community members, town history, and his own experiences. It is reported that a good time was had by all. Read about the event published 13 Jan 2009 in the Osakis Review and an earlier article on Uncle Neil's life story published 8 Jan 2008 by the same paper. 
Gillis, William Neil (I25)
 
568 William graduated from Balaton High School.  He remembers in high school being on the winning basketball team that won a trip to the State track meet at the University of Minnesota Memorial Stadium in 1935, the year he graduated.

William (Neil) attended Augsburg College for 1 year in 1935-36.  Later he attended University of Minnesota and enrolled in its college of pharmacy.  He graduated in 1943.

Then Neil served in the Naval Reserve from October 1943 to December 21, 1945 (SN 8707541).  Neil was stationed at Farragut, Idaho and Great Lakes, Illinois; at Great Lakes Naval Air Station he worked on master of Arms; at Farragut, he ran the bowling alley and worked in pharmacy.

Neil's first job was working on a farm for $10 a month; his second job was as a pharmacist for only $5 a month.

After marrying Wanda in 1941, he raised his family in Osakis, Minnesota, where he established what turned into a successful Rexall Drug Store business for many years.  William served in the Navy in World War II.

On 18 Jan 2009, Uncle Neil shared stories about his life and history of Osakis titled "My Wonderful Life" as part of the Winter Lecture Series at the Osakis Information Center. Although the event was not recorded, Information Center representatives report there was standing room only at the event. Neil wove together accounts of local community members, town history, and his own experiences. It is reported that a good time was had by all. Read about the event published 13 Jan 2009 in the Osakis Review and an earlier article on Uncle Neil's life story published 8 Jan 2008 by the same paper. 
GILLIS, William Neil (I25)
 
569 William McNab Gillis and Mary Elizabeth Codville Gillis, was born Jan 27, 1881 in Wardsboro, Vt in Windham county. Will was a school teacher. He married Grace Chamberlain, who died in 1919, and they had one son.

Later, Will married Jessie Yerkes. They were married at the home of the bride's parents, with the Rev. W. M. Gillis , father of the groom,
performing the ceremony. Following their marriage, the couple made their home in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where Will had a teaching position. Will was well known for his beautiful singing and was a member of a large choral society in Minneapolis.

In 1937, Will and Jessie moved to the Portland, Oregon area
where Will was a self-employed grocer. Jessie died in 1970. William died in 1973 at the age of 92. 
Gillis, William Hilary (I38)
 
570 William McNab Gillis and Mary Elizabeth Codville Gillis, was born Jan 27, 1881 in Wardsboro, Vt in Windham county. Will was a school teacher. He married Grace Chamberlain, who died in 1919, and they had one son.

Later, Will married Jessie Yerkes. They were married at the home of the bride's parents, with the  Rev. W. M. Gillis , father of the groom,
performing the ceremony. Following their marriage, the couple made their home in Minneapolis, Minnesota, where Will had a teaching position. Will was well known for his beautiful singing and was a member of a large choral society in Minneapolis.

In 1937, Will and Jessie moved to the Portland, Oregon area
where Will was a self-employed grocer. Jessie died in 1970. William  died  in 1973 at the age of 92. 
GILLIS, William Hillary (I38)
 
571 William McNabb Gillis spent his early life on his parent's farm.  His parents were of sturdy Scots Irish stock, pioneers in the new country, and were sincere, devout Christians.  These traits made a deep impression on William.

William became a teacher in his home village school.  He later went to an academy in Montpelier, Vermont, where with hard work and perseverance he was able to work his way through.  He later graduated in 1876 from Wesleyan University in Middleton, Connecticut.  In the spring of 1877, William entered the Vermont Conference of the Methodist-Episcopal Church.

(According to the book "History of Royalton, Vermont," the Methodists had a building in South Royalton in 1851, which they shared at first with the Universalists.  It was completely rebuilt in 1890.)  (Prov. by the Librarian of South Royalton, Elaina Griffith in April 2000).

In early summer of 1891, William transferred to the Minnesota Conference of the Church, where he held pastorates at Plainview (5 years), Pine Island, Fairmont, Rushmore, and Walnut Grove (8 years).  Upon retiring in 1915, William and Mary moved to Windom, Minnesota, to be near William's brother, Rev. B. C. Gillis, who was then pastor of the Methodist-Episcopal Church there.  In the Windom church, William served as superintendent of the Sunday School, and as an efficient friend and advisor for his brother.  He was also active in all of the local and civic affairs of the community.

William was loved and honored in every pastoral charge he served, and under his guidance four churches were built or remodeled.  During the 38 years of his effective ministry, he never missed an appointment through sickness and not until he was over 81 years old was his natural strength abated.

William and Mary celebrated their silver 25th wedding anniversary at Pine Island.  The Church there held a surprise reception for them.   They knew nothing of the preparations until entering the church for what they had supposed was a weekly prayer meeting service.  They found waiting for them not only a large audience of their own townspeople, but friends and relatives from a distance.  The church was decorated with flowers, and short addresses were given by visiting ministers.  Afterwards, friends gathered around to congratulate the couple and extend good wishes.  Among many beautiful presents were a silver gold lined water set, fruit basket, cake basket, two sets of spoons, and 25 silver dollars.  After the greeting, the company retired to the church parlors where light refreshments were served.

The couple celebrated their golden 50th wedding anniversary in a quite way in their home on Sunday, April 24, 1927, leaving the large celebration over until Monday, to not hinder in any way the Sunday worship.  That Sunday morning, it was William's privilege to baptize three of his own grandchildren, including Winnifred May (6 weeks old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. O. Thompson), and Robert and Phyllis, children of his own son Ernest Benjamin, of Balaton, Minnesota.  The church pastor, on behalf of the congregation, presented William and Mary with a bouquet of 50 red rose buds, thus in a small way showing the love and esteem in which the couple were held.  On Monday at 1:00pm, at the Gillis home, an anniversary dinner was attended by all of their children.  That evening, their daughter Edith (Mrs. J. O. Thompson) held a reception, attended by many friends.  Most of the evenings entertainment was furnished by the talented family members, and included musical numbers with solos, duets, and a quartet composed of the four children with Edith at the piano.  The Rev. Dr. Runkle, the district superintendent, gave several amusing readings.  The guests presented a purse of gold to the honored guests as a token of their friendship; many letters and telegrams of congratulations were received.

William attributed his success in the ministry and the happiness if life in large part to his helpmeet, Mary.  She was a quiet person but the best of wives and mothers, her circle chiefly being her family and her church.  She was devoted to her home and to her loved ones.  One of her greatest joys in life was in contributing to missions.

William was the type of man that his daily life preached the gospel more powerfully than it could have ever been preached from the pulpit.  One of his favorite verses of Scripture was "Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee", from the book of Psalms.

William died at home on Sunday, July 1, 1928.  He had been confined to his bed for over 2 weeks, due to an attack of heart trouble and followed a spell of the grippe.  He was 83.  Mary passed away at age 90 on April 22, 1940.  After William's death, and despite her advancing age, she kept up her own home, living there in summers and spending winters with her daughters also living in Windom.  She died at her daughter Edith's home, after a 2-week illness.
The Reverend William McNab Gillis, one of 15 children, was
born on 20 May 1845 (some records say May 7, 1843, some say
1846) in Inverness, Megantic County, Quebec, Canada (at Gillis
Corners). The son of  John William  and  Nancy (Robinson)  Gillis,
he was baptized June 26, 1843 Methodist Church, (Ireland).
William died on 1 July 1928 in Windom, Minnesota, after many
wonderful years serving the Methodist Church as both beloved
pastor and a friend of many people, always deeply respected in
his local communities.

William's middle name, McNab, probably must have been given
in remembrance of the maiden name of his great-grandmother,
Olive McNab , who married his great-grandfather  Robert Gillis  in
Ireland in the 1700s.

William McNab was the son of  John William Gillis  and  Nancy
Robinson , both immigrants to Canada from Ireland. On 24 April
1877, he married  Mary Elizabeth Codville  in Quebec City,
Quebec, Canada, the city at which William's father first landed
when immigrating to Canada from Ireland in the 1820s.
Mary Elizabeth Codville  was born on 11 September 1849 in
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, and she died 22 April 1940, also
at home in Windom, Minnesota. She was the daughter of  Hilary
Codville  and  Mary Ann Robinson .  Hilary  was a successful
merchant of a wholesale
grocery distribution in
western Canada.

The couple married April
24, 1877 at 3pm in the
afternoon in the home of
Mary's brother, John
James Codville, in
Quebec City. The service
was performed by the
Reverend H. E. Blaud.
Their honeymoon
consisted of a trip to
Rutland, Vermont, where
William was first
ordained as a minister.
How she met William is
unclear, but during all
their married life over
many years, it was clear
they were very devoted
towards one another.

Reports about William McNabb Gillis come from several
sources. He spent his early life on his parent's farm in Inverness, been pioneers in the new country, and they were sincere, devout
Christians." These traits made a deep impression on William.
William became a teacher in his home village school. He later
went to an academy in Montpelier, Vermont, where with hard
work and perseverance he was able to work his way through
college. He graduated in 1876 from Wesleyan University in
Middleton, Connecticut. In the spring of 1877, William entered
the Vermont Conference of the Methodist-Episcopal Church.

William was first ordained as a minister in Rutland, Vermont, where he and Mary had honeymooned. He received his first appointment to the Methodist-Episcopal Church at
Landgrove, Vermont. This was reportedly all taking place when he married  Mary Elizabeth Codville  in 1877. William then
became pastor in a small Methodist church in South Royalton,
Vermont, a college town not far from the Vermont-New
Hampshire border, and not far off of Interstate 93. There, he
served as pastor until he transferred to Minnesota in 1891.
According to the book, "History of Royalton, Vermont," the
Methodists had a building in South Royalton in 1851 which they
shared at first with the Universalists. It was later completely
rebuilt in 1890. As of 2002, the building was closed, but the
church parsonage still stood where William and Mary had their
five children including their last one, Ernest Benjamin (born in
1888).

In early summer of 1891, William transferred to the Minnesota
Conference of the Church, where he held pastorates at Plainview (5 years), Pine Island, Fairmont, Rushmore, and Walnut Grove (8
years).

During William's service at Pine Island, the Methodist church
was rebuilt. The festivities in April of 1900 celebrated the efforts
of William, the building committee, and the congregation.

William and Mary celebrated their silver 25th wedding
anniversary at Pine Island. The Church there held a surprise
reception for them. They knew nothing of the preparations until
entering the church for what they had supposed was a weekly
prayer meeting service. They found waiting for them not only a
large audience of their own townspeople, but friends and relatives
from a distance. The church was decorated with flowers, and
short addresses were given by visiting ministers. Afterwards,
friends gathered around to congratulate the couple and extend
good wishes. Among many beautiful presents were a silver gold
lined water set, fruit basket, cake basket, two sets of spoons, and
25 silver dollars. After the greeting, the company retired to the
church parlors where light
refreshments were served.

William was loved and
honored in every pastoral
charge he served, and
under his guidance, four
churches were built or
remodeled. During the 38
years of his effective
ministry, he never missed
an appointment through
sickness and not until he
was over 81 years old was
his natural strength abated.

William retired when he was a minister at Walnut Grove, MN.
Upon retiring from his pastoral duties in 1915, William and Mary
moved to Windom, Minnesota to be near William's brother, the
Reverent Benjamin Cole Gillis, who was then (also) pastor of the
Methodist-Episcopal Church. In the Windom church, William
served as superintendent of the Sunday School, and he was both
"an efficient friend and advisor for his brother. He was also active
in all of the local and civic affairs of the community."

The couple also celebrated their golden 50th wedding anniversary
in a special quiet way at their home on Sunday, April 24, 1927,
leaving the large celebration over until Monday, to not hinder in
any way the Sunday worship. That Sunday morning, it was
William's privilege to baptize three of his own grandchildren,
including Winifred May (the 6-week old daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. J. O. and Edith Thompson) (Edith was William's daughter);
and, Robert (Bob) and Phyllis, two of the 11 children of his own
son  Ernest Benjamin  of Balaton, Minnesota.
The church pastor, on behalf of the congregation, presented
William and Mary with a bouquet of 50 red rose buds, thus in a
small way showing the love and esteem in which the couple was
held. On Monday at 1:00pm, at the Gillis home, an anniversary
dinner was attended by all of their children. That evening, their
daughter Edith (Mrs. J. O. Thompson) held a reception attended
by many friends. Most of the evening entertainment was
furnished by talented family members, and it included musical
numbers with solos, duets, and a quartet composed of the four
children with Edith at the piano. The Rev. Dr. Runkle, the
Methodist District Superintendent, gave several amusing
readings. The guests presented a purse of gold to the honored
guests as a token of their friendship; many letters and telegrams
of congratulations were received.

William attributed his success in the ministry and the happiness if
life in large part to his helpmeet,  Mary . She was a quiet person
but considered the best of wives and mothers, her circle chiefly
being her family and her church. She was devoted to her home
and to her loved ones. One of her greatest joys in life was in
contributing to missions.
William was the type of man that his daily life preached the
gospel more powerfully than it could have ever been preached
from the pulpit. One of his favorite verses of Scripture was
"Whom have I in heaven but thee?" and, "there is none upon
earth that I desire beside thee" from the book of Psalms.
William died at home on Sunday, July 1, 1928. He had been
confined to his bed for over 2 weeks, due to an attack of heart
trouble and followed a spell of the grippe. He was 83.  Mary  later
passed away at age 90 on April 22, 1940. After William's death,
and despite her advancing age, she kept up her own home, living
there in summers and spending winters with her daughters who
also lived in Windom.

!BIRTH-CHRISTENING:  Paul Vachon, THE ANGLO-PROTESTANTS OF MEGANTIC COUNTY,
Repertory of Births, Marriages, and Burials; 1826-1991; Societe Genealogigue
de la region de l'Amiante, Thetford Mines, Quebec, Canada, 1992, Pub. No. 5;
Births p101;US/CAN 971.4575 K2r,Fiche 6125775,LDS FHL Salt Lake City UT; NOTE:
"(bapt) 12/03/1849  GILLIS, William Nab.
(born) 29/04/1846    William (fa) & Nancy ROBINSON  Inv.
                      bapt.: Methodist Church (Ireland)"

M210-2-000765  back of Twelfth leaf

                     "William Nab son of William Gillis
                      of the Township of Inverness Farmer
                      and of Nancy Robinson his wife
                      was born on the Twenty Ninth day of
                      April in the year of our Lord one Thou
                      sand Eight Hundred and Forty Six and
                      was baptized on this Twelfth day of
                      March in the year one thousand Eight
                      Hundred and Forty three in the presence
                      of the subscribing witnesses by me
                                          R A Handry
                                              Clerk
                      William Gillis
                      Samuel Robinson" 
GILLIS, Rev. William McNab (I34)
 
572 William McNabb Gillis spent his early life on his parent's farm.  His parents were of sturdy Scots Irish stock, pioneers in the new country, and were sincere, devout Christians.  These traits made a deep impression on William.

William became a teacher in his home village school.  He later went to an academy in Montpelier, Vermont, where with hard work and perseverance he was able to work his way through.  He later graduated in 1876 from Wesleyan University in Middleton, Connecticut.  In the spring of 1877, William entered the Vermont Conference of the Methodist-Episcopal Church.

(According to the book "History of Royalton, Vermont," the Methodists had a building in South Royalton in 1851, which they shared at first with the Universalists.  It was completely rebuilt in 1890.)  (Prov. by the Librarian of South Royalton, Elaina Griffith in April 2000).

In early summer of 1891, William transferred to the Minnesota Conference of the Church, where he held pastorates at Plainview (5 years), Pine Island, Fairmont, Rushmore, and Walnut Grove (8 years).  Upon retiring in 1915, William and Mary moved to Windom, Minnesota, to be near William's brother, Rev. B. C. Gillis, who was then pastor of the Methodist-Episcopal Church there.  In the Windom church, William served as superintendent of the Sunday School, and as an efficient friend and advisor for his brother.  He was also active in all of the local and civic affairs of the community.

William was loved and honored in every pastoral charge he served, and under his guidance four churches were built or remodeled.  During the 38 years of his effective ministry, he never missed an appointment through sickness and not until he was over 81 years old was his natural strength abated.

William and Mary celebrated their silver 25th wedding anniversary at Pine Island.  The Church there held a surprise reception for them.   They knew nothing of the preparations until entering the church for what they had supposed was a weekly prayer meeting service.  They found waiting for them not only a large audience of their own townspeople, but friends and relatives from a distance.  The church was decorated with flowers, and short addresses were given by visiting ministers.  Afterwards, friends gathered around to congratulate the couple and extend good wishes.  Among many beautiful presents were a silver gold lined water set, fruit basket, cake basket, two sets of spoons, and 25 silver dollars.  After the greeting, the company retired to the church parlors where light refreshments were served.

The couple celebrated their golden 50th wedding anniversary in a quite way in their home on Sunday, April 24, 1927, leaving the large celebration over until Monday, to not hinder in any way the Sunday worship.  That Sunday morning, it was William's privilege to baptize three of his own grandchildren, including Winnifred May (6 weeks old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. O. Thompson), and Robert and Phyllis, children of his own son Ernest Benjamin, of Balaton, Minnesota.  The church pastor, on behalf of the congregation, presented William and Mary with a bouquet of 50 red rose buds, thus in a small way showing the love and esteem in which the couple were held.  On Monday at 1:00pm, at the Gillis home, an anniversary dinner was attended by all of their children.  That evening, their daughter Edith (Mrs. J. O. Thompson) held a reception, attended by many friends.  Most of the evenings entertainment was furnished by the talented family members, and included musical numbers with solos, duets, and a quartet composed of the four children with Edith at the piano.  The Rev. Dr. Runkle, the district superintendent, gave several amusing readings.  The guests presented a purse of gold to the honored guests as a token of their friendship; many letters and telegrams of congratulations were received.

William attributed his success in the ministry and the happiness if life in large part to his helpmeet, Mary.  She was a quiet person but the best of wives and mothers, her circle chiefly being her family and her church.  She was devoted to her home and to her loved ones.  One of her greatest joys in life was in contributing to missions.

William was the type of man that his daily life preached the gospel more powerfully than it could have ever been preached from the pulpit.  One of his favorite verses of Scripture was "Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee", from the book of Psalms.

William died at home on Sunday, July 1, 1928.  He had been confined to his bed for over 2 weeks, due to an attack of heart trouble and followed a spell of the grippe.  He was 83.  Mary passed away at age 90 on April 22, 1940.  After William's death, and despite her advancing age, she kept up her own home, living there in summers and spending winters with her daughters also living in Windom.  She died at her daughter Edith's home, after a 2-week illness.
The Reverend William McNab Gillis, one of 15 children, was
born on 20 May 1845 (some records say May 7, 1843, some say
1846) in Inverness, Megantic County, Quebec, Canada (at Gillis
Corners). The son of  John William  and  Nancy (Robinson)  Gillis,
he was baptized June 26, 1843 Methodist Church, (Ireland).
William died on 1 July 1928 in Windom, Minnesota, after many
wonderful years serving the Methodist Church as both beloved
pastor and a friend of many people, always deeply respected in
his local communities.

William's middle name, McNab, probably must have been given
in remembrance of the maiden name of his great-grandmother,
Olive McNab , who married his great-grandfather  Robert Gillis  in
Ireland in the 1700s.

William McNab was the son of  John William Gillis  and  Nancy
Robinson , both immigrants to Canada from Ireland. On 24 April
1877, he married  Mary Elizabeth Codville  in Quebec City,
Quebec, Canada, the city at which William's father first landed
when immigrating to Canada from Ireland in the 1820s.
Mary Elizabeth Codville  was born on 11 September 1849 in
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, and she died 22 April 1940, also
at home in Windom, Minnesota. She was the daughter of  Hilary
Codville  and  Mary Ann Robinson .  Hilary  was a successful
merchant of a wholesale
grocery distribution in
western Canada.

The couple married April
24, 1877 at 3pm in the
afternoon in the home of
Mary's brother, John
James Codville, in
Quebec City. The service
was performed by the
Reverend H. E. Blaud.
Their honeymoon
consisted of a trip to
Rutland, Vermont, where
William was first
ordained as a minister.
How she met William is
unclear, but during all
their married life over
many years, it was clear
they were very devoted
towards one another.

Reports about William McNabb Gillis come from several
sources. He spent his early life on his parent's farm in Inverness, been pioneers in the new country, and they were sincere, devout
Christians." These traits made a deep impression on William.
William became a teacher in his home village school. He later
went to an academy in Montpelier, Vermont, where with hard
work and perseverance he was able to work his way through
college. He graduated in 1876 from Wesleyan University in
Middleton, Connecticut. In the spring of 1877, William entered
the Vermont Conference of the Methodist-Episcopal Church.

William was first ordained as a minister in Rutland, Vermont, where he and Mary had honeymooned. He received his first appointment to the Methodist-Episcopal Church at
Landgrove, Vermont. This was reportedly all taking place when he married  Mary Elizabeth Codville  in 1877. William then
became pastor in a small Methodist church in South Royalton,
Vermont, a college town not far from the Vermont-New
Hampshire border, and not far off of Interstate 93. There, he
served as pastor until he transferred to Minnesota in 1891.
According to the book, "History of Royalton, Vermont," the
Methodists had a building in South Royalton in 1851 which they
shared at first with the Universalists. It was later completely
rebuilt in 1890. As of 2002, the building was closed, but the
church parsonage still stood where William and Mary had their
five children including their last one, Ernest Benjamin (born in
1888).

In early summer of 1891, William transferred to the Minnesota
Conference of the Church, where he held pastorates at Plainview (5 years), Pine Island, Fairmont, Rushmore, and Walnut Grove (8
years).

During William's service at Pine Island, the Methodist church
was rebuilt. The festivities in April of 1900 celebrated the efforts
of William, the building committee, and the congregation.

William and Mary celebrated their silver 25th wedding
anniversary at Pine Island. The Church there held a surprise
reception for them. They knew nothing of the preparations until
entering the church for what they had supposed was a weekly
prayer meeting service. They found waiting for them not only a
large audience of their own townspeople, but friends and relatives
from a distance. The church was decorated with flowers, and
short addresses were given by visiting ministers. Afterwards,
friends gathered around to congratulate the couple and extend
good wishes. Among many beautiful presents were a silver gold
lined water set, fruit basket, cake basket, two sets of spoons, and
25 silver dollars. After the greeting, the company retired to the
church parlors where light
refreshments were served.

William was loved and
honored in every pastoral
charge he served, and
under his guidance, four
churches were built or
remodeled. During the 38
years of his effective
ministry, he never missed
an appointment through
sickness and not until he
was over 81 years old was
his natural strength abated.

William retired when he was a minister at Walnut Grove, MN.
Upon retiring from his pastoral duties in 1915, William and Mary
moved to Windom, Minnesota to be near William's brother, the
Reverent Benjamin Cole Gillis, who was then (also) pastor of the
Methodist-Episcopal Church. In the Windom church, William
served as superintendent of the Sunday School, and he was both
"an efficient friend and advisor for his brother. He was also active
in all of the local and civic affairs of the community."

The couple also celebrated their golden 50th wedding anniversary
in a special quiet way at their home on Sunday, April 24, 1927,
leaving the large celebration over until Monday, to not hinder in
any way the Sunday worship. That Sunday morning, it was
William's privilege to baptize three of his own grandchildren,
including Winifred May (the 6-week old daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. J. O. and Edith Thompson) (Edith was William's daughter);
and, Robert (Bob) and Phyllis, two of the 11 children of his own
son  Ernest Benjamin  of Balaton, Minnesota.
The church pastor, on behalf of the congregation, presented
William and Mary with a bouquet of 50 red rose buds, thus in a
small way showing the love and esteem in which the couple was
held. On Monday at 1:00pm, at the Gillis home, an anniversary
dinner was attended by all of their children. That evening, their
daughter Edith (Mrs. J. O. Thompson) held a reception attended
by many friends. Most of the evening entertainment was
furnished by talented family members, and it included musical
numbers with solos, duets, and a quartet composed of the four
children with Edith at the piano. The Rev. Dr. Runkle, the
Methodist District Superintendent, gave several amusing
readings. The guests presented a purse of gold to the honored
guests as a token of their friendship; many letters and telegrams
of congratulations were received.

William attributed his success in the ministry and the happiness if
life in large part to his helpmeet,  Mary . She was a quiet person
but considered the best of wives and mothers, her circle chiefly
being her family and her church. She was devoted to her home
and to her loved ones. One of her greatest joys in life was in
contributing to missions.
William was the type of man that his daily life preached the
gospel more powerfully than it could have ever been preached
from the pulpit. One of his favorite verses of Scripture was
"Whom have I in heaven but thee?" and, "there is none upon
earth that I desire beside thee" from the book of Psalms.
William died at home on Sunday, July 1, 1928. He had been
confined to his bed for over 2 weeks, due to an attack of heart
trouble and followed a spell of the grippe. He was 83.  Mary  later
passed away at age 90 on April 22, 1940. After William's death,
and despite her advancing age, she kept up her own home, living
there in summers and spending winters with her daughters who
also lived in Windom.

!BIRTH-CHRISTENING:  Paul Vachon, THE ANGLO-PROTESTANTS OF MEGANTIC COUNTY,
Repertory of Births, Marriages, and Burials; 1826-1991; Societe Genealogigue
de la region de l'Amiante, Thetford Mines, Quebec, Canada, 1992, Pub. No. 5;
Births p101;US/CAN 971.4575 K2r,Fiche 6125775,LDS FHL Salt Lake City UT; NOTE:
"(bapt) 12/03/1849  GILLIS, William Nab.
(born) 29/04/1846    William (fa) & Nancy ROBINSON  Inv.
                      bapt.: Methodist Church (Ireland)"

M210-2-000765  back of Twelfth leaf

                     "William Nab son of William Gillis
                      of the Township of Inverness Farmer
                      and of Nancy Robinson his wife
                      was born on the Twenty Ninth day of
                      April in the year of our Lord one Thou
                      sand Eight Hundred and Forty Six and
                      was baptized on this Twelfth day of
                      March in the year one thousand Eight
                      Hundred and Forty three in the presence
                      of the subscribing witnesses by me
                                          R A Handry
                                              Clerk
                      William Gillis
                      Samuel Robinson" 
GILLIS, Rev. William McNab (I34)
 
573 William, the son of Robertus Oliver Gillis and Olive Rebecca McNab (1-3)b Gillis , became a wealthy man by the linen trade. He raised a mill on the Callan River, Armagh, and made a great fortune. He retired and went by the name of McCumb but to this day*, that mill, though four times the size, is known and goes by the name of "Gillis Spinning Mills". At his death, the bulk of William's large mill went to the McMasters, McKens, and McCrumbs, people overloaded with wealth*.

The Callan River is located in County Armagh, it joins the River Blackwater 1.6 km upstream from Bond's Bridge. It is navigable by dinghy or canoe for 2 km to Fairlawn Bridge. It flows in a generally northerly direction from Tullnawood lake, past Darkley, passing within a few miles of Keady town, through Tassagh and on to Armagh. The Callan River, flowing by the city of Armagh, and the Tall River, running by Richhill, join together, and the united steam enters the Blackwater one mile below Charlemont.

The area upstream of Armagh has many former linen mills that were built to use the waterpower of the river. There is also a viaduct at Tassagh that once carried the railway line from Armagh to Keady.

Family lore held that William never married. We now know that that is not true and that William had several children.

* These statements were related by Mr. Fred McKen (a grandson of William's brother Robert ) when he was 84 years old, as told to Robert Gillis of Tandragee, Ireland, who gave it to Ben Gillis, his cousin who visited him in 1910.

Also, SEE notes under John William Gillis for more Benjamin Cole Gilli s notes from Robert Gillis about William. 
Gillis, William (I66)
 
574 William, the son of  Robertus Oliver Gillis  and  Olive Rebecca
McNab (1-3)b Gillis , became a wealthy man by the linen trade.
He raised a mill on the Collen River, Armagh, and made a great fortune. He retired and went by the name of McCumb but to this day*, that mill, though four times the size, is known and goes by the name of "Gillis Spinning Mills". At his death, the bulk of William's large mill went to the McMasters, McKens, and McCrumbs, people overloaded with wealth*.

Family lore held that William never married. We now know that
that is not true and that William had several children.

* These statements were related by Mr. Fred McKen (a
grandson of William's brother  Robert ) when he was 84 years
old, as told to Robert Gillis of Tandragee, Ireland, who gave it to Ben Gillis, his cousin who visited him in 1910.

Also, SEE notes under John William Gillis for more Benjamin Cole Gilli s notes from Robert Gillis about William. 
GILLIS, William (I66)
 
575 Winnifred Martha Gillis was the daugher of the Reverend William McNab Gillis and Mary Elizabeth Codville Gillis . She was born 05 Mar 1878 in Landgrove, Vermon. Merton and Winnifred met while Merton was in his early teaching years at Grand Meadow, Minnesota. They married in 1916 at
Walnut Grove, Minnesota (where Winnifred's father was pastor of a Methodist-Episcopal Church) and established their home in Glenwood City, Wisconsin.

Winnifred was the choir director for the Glenwood City Methodist Church for many years, and also was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Winnifred died in 1963.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/70760347/winnifred-m-baker 
Gillis, Winnifred Martha (I36)
 
576 Winnifred Martha Gillis was the daugher of the  Reverend William McNab Gillis  and  Mary Elizabeth Codville Gillis . She was born 05 Mar 1878 in Landgrove, Vermon. Merton and Winnifred met while Merton was in his early teaching years at Grand Meadow, Minnesota. They married in 1916 at
Walnut Grove, Minnesota (where Winnifred's father was pastor of a Methodist-Episcopal Church) and established their home in Glenwood City, Wisconsin.

Winnifred was the choir director for the Glenwood City Methodist Church for many years, and also was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Winnifred died in 1963.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/70760347/winnifred-m-baker 
GILLIS, Winnifred Martha (I36)
 
577 Gillis, Rev. William McNab (I34)
 
578 Codville, Hilary M. Jr (I42)
 
579 Gillis, Elizabeth (I46)
 
580 Gillis, Thomas Scott (I56)
 
581 Gillis, Rev. Benjamin Cole (I57)
 
582 Gillis, James (I62)
 
583 Mooney, Daniel (I601)
 
584 Garvin, Rev. John (I611)
 
585 Robinson, William (I880)
 
586 Baxter, Isabella (I991)
 
587 Gillis, Martha (I7343)
 
588 Scott, Caroline Rebecca (I814)
 
589 Gillis, Ellen (I5602)
 
590 Codville, Mary Elizabeth (I35)
 
591 Gillis, James (I47)
 
592 Gillis, Hannah (I49)
 
593 Gillis, Nancy (I53)
 
594 Gillis, Robert (I59)
 
595 Gillis, Rebecca M. (I63)
 
596 Ridley, Elizabeth (I593)
 
597 George, James (I604)
 
598 Palmerlee, Mary Lodema (I614)
 
599 Codville, John James (I742)
 
600 Robinson, William James (I985)
 

      «Prev «1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next»